Chapter 3

The Plague Doctor watches as joyful children of all ages flood onto the street, they play and dance despite the cruel weather. A true sign of never loosing hope. The children played to forget their lives, to escape to a reality of great expectations. This brought happiness to the Plague Doctor, a small smile spread across her face below the cold mask. Its nice to see people having fun at a time like this, the time of 1352, the time of the plague. A small girl who was excluded from the game sat next to the Plague Doctor. She looks down at the small girl who seemed to be around 7.

"Why are you not enjoying a game with the rest of the children, dear?" The Plague Doctor says, her voice sounds young, mid 20s. it was cold with a hint of sympathy about it.

"They won't let me play with them." The small girl explains, her voice full of sadness and sorrow.

The Plague Doctor felt her smile droop slightly, she rummaged through her bag and pulled out a small, brown bear. It was a thing she would give to her patients if they felt anxious or scared. She hands it to the girl and she gently wipes the girl's tears away with her sleeve. The small girl hugs the Plague Doctor. The Doctor didn't expect this sudden show of affection. She hesitated for a moment before embracing the girl and rubbing her gloved hand up and down her back supportively.

"Its ok." The Plague Doctor says as she holds the small girl close.

As the little girl broke the embrace and she looks at the sky. A large fork of white light struck across the sky, this made them both jump slightly. The Plague Doctor signals for the small girl to go home as she may catch a cold.