Chapter Three

*Mitch's POV*

    I slowly stir awake and reach for Jerome, only to find my movements restricted. My eyes snap open to a blinding light and a searing pain. "J-Jerome..?" I croak. Then, it all comes rushing back. The accident. I'm in a hospital.

       I anxiously glance around at the various machines hooked up to me, way too scared to even look down. The steady beep of the heart monitor does nothing to calm my nerves and the beeps start coming faster. I'm struggling to breathe and can't get enough air despite the mask. Suddenly, I black out.

    And begin dreaming. First, it's just a blur. Memories and people, flashing by in a rapid slide show. I begin to panic. But then, the slides stop. And settles on one thing. Jerome. His face. His so called "skills". His laugh. Our times together. The inside jokes. The accident.

    Sweating, I jolt awake. And I realize there are other sounds than just the monitor.

   "Hey dood," says a voice to my right.

   I strain to sit up but a firm hand on my chest forces me to stay down.

    "Hello Mitchell. You may not remember but, this is Doctor Martin speaking. I'm afraid you have to remain laying. Your wounds are still critical," says a kind voice in a lab coat.

    I nod my head and attempt to speak but, I end up sounding like a dying cat.

    Doctor Martin soundlessly hands me a glass of water and helps me take a drink, not before removing the air mask, of course. He takes a step back and another person, no wait, make that two, step foward.

    "R-ryan??? Hey man...", I manage to say.

    He just smiles grimly and his gaze travels down the sheets and back to the assorted machines.

    "Is it t-that bad?," I ask seeing the look on his face.

    "Nah, man. It's good." But, his face tells me otherwise.

    A woman steps closer. I squint at her, trying to remember..." Oh, hey Kayla! Didn't recognize you there!"

    She grins. "Am I really that hard to forget???", she teases.

   I give her a solemn nod. "Especially with Mr.-Good-Looking standing right there."

    Kayla giggles and Ryan just rolls his eyes at the pun. Doctor Martin comes forward.

    "Since this is the first time Mitchell has regained consciousness for an extended amount of time, me and my team need to talk to him. Please be only a few minutes more." He grabs his clipboard and walks out.

    Ryan looks down at me."How are you holding up???,"he asks.

    I move my gauze-wrapped arms and look at him. "Dood, life is so great... I can't express how much fun I'm having,"I say in a very monotone voice.

    He rolls his eyes, again. "Well excuse my stupid question." He crosses his arms in mock anger.

    Kayla grabs his arm and pulls him away from the bed. "We came as soon as we got the message." She looks around,"Where's Jerome???"

    At the mention of his name, my heart hits the floor. Jerome... Where are you biggums??? Silence. The only sounds in the room is the heart monitor slowly increasing speed.

     Kayla instantly freezes up.She walks over to a chair and sits down. "I'm so sorry!!!," she exclaims. "I just assumed th-", she broke off there and put her head in her hands.