Chapter 18

What is it about the clock striking twelve and magic wands?
We need to hurry and save Cole—before we all walk the plank!

It seemed to be just another bleak windy day at Pirate's Cove.

The wharf bustled with patchy pirates, sullied scalawags, and mumbling merchants. Nothing seemed to be out of the ordinary. But despite appearances, that day was different. For at the bottom of the decaying multilevel pier, there was a captive inside the old pirate ship with dark octopus insignia on the sails and young pirates patrolling the deck. It was none other than Cole, who had been tied with rope to the mainmast.

Louis leaped onto the main deck and landed in front of Cole. He put his face close to Cole's. "Coochy coochy coooo," he teased, grazing Cole's chin with the curve of his sharp hook. Louis laughed. "How's it feel to be king now, eh?"

Sabrina strolled up and pushed Louis away from Cole. "Ugh, give it a rest, Louis. We don't want damaged goods." She sat on a trunk in front of Cole and watched him.

"You said I could hook him," Louis snarled at Sabrina. He hung by an arm from salt-encrusted rigging ropes like a monkey, pointing his hook menacingly at Cole's neck.

"I said at noon," Sabrina corrected him.

Louis jumped down and stepped beside Cole, pressing his face close to Cole's again and dangling Captain Mark's silver by his cheek. "Twenty minutes to go," he said.

"It says eleven thirty," said Cole.

Louis leered at Cole with his light eyes bulging.

"You better hope your boyfriend comes through," said Sabrina.

"He's not my boyfriend anymore," Cole added.

"Hmmm." Sabrina turned to Louis. "Louis, leave us alone."

Louis checked his father's clock and walked up to Cole. "Nineteen minutes to go," he said. He slid the watch over Cole's shoulder threateningly, then twirled it on the silver chain as he backed away, leaving Cole and Sabrina alone.

"I get that you don't deserve this—" Cole started.

Sabrina cackled. "This? This island is a prison, thanks to your father!" shouted Sabrina. "And don't pretend to look out for me, because no one's looking out for me. It's just me."

"This isn't your mother's plan?" asked Cole. "Isn't that her necklace?" He nodded, indicating to the gold shell hanging from Sabrina's neck on a chain.

Sabrina let out a laugh and shook her head. "She doesn't care about me, either. Well, not unless she needs someone for the night shift."

"Ouch," said Cole.

"I don't need your pity!" yelled Sabrina.

"No, you certainly don't. You're very resourceful. I don't see you tied up."

Sabrina stood up and stepped in front of Cole. She crossed her arms. "So, let's trash talk Harry," she said with a devilish grin.

"I'd rather talk about you," Cole said kindly.

Sabrina laughed. "Oh, funny and a gentleman. I really hope I don't have to feed you to the fishes."

"You don't," said Cole. "Set me free and we'll go back together."

"Oh, so now I get an invite?" Sabrina howled. "Gee, I wonder why." She brought her face inches from Cole's. "You know, when you brought Harry, Calum, Justin and Michael to Auradon . . . that's as mad as I've ever been in my life. And believe me, I've been plenty mad." She tapped Cole's cheek a few times and turned away from him. She folded her arms and across her chest once again.