Chapter 6

Ugh! I'm so over this place. And apparently cotillion is a way bigger deal than I thought. Great. Now I really have to keep up the perfect prince act. Can't have some Isle hooligan ruining Cole's big day!

Harry raced to his locker, grabbed his handbag from inside it, and rooted around the bag.

"Hi, Harry," came a voice from beside him.

Harry staggered and found Cole leaning against his locker door.

"Hi!" he said, trying to act cool. He let out a nervous laugh.

Cole smiled warmly at him. "I . . . have a little surprise for you."

Harry grinned. "Another one. Wow, that's, like, every day now."

"Every other day," said Cole, correcting him. "The even dates. Because you're even more perfect than I thought."

"That's me. I am perfect." He kept himself from rolling his eyes.

"Come on, let me spoil you." said Cole. "You didn't have a lot growing up."

Harry's smile switched. "We managed," he said.

Cole peered inside Harry's locker Ana saw his spell book sitting in a wire tray against the back.

He pointed at the book. "Didn't you donate that to the museum?" He reached for it, but Harry guided his hand away, closed the locker door, and smiled.

"Is that still in there?" said Harry playfully. He brushed Cole's hair out of his eyes with his finger. "Um . . . I have to get to class. I do not want to be late, so—"

"No you don't," said Cole. "But . . ." He took Harry's hand and led him by the arm.

A few steps away, there was a sparkly purple motor scooter with a gold bow on top.

"Ta-da," said Cole, gesturing to it.

Harry gasped and cupped his hands to his mouth. "What?"

"Do you like it?" asked Cole.

Harry beamed, genuinely thrilled. "Does a ogre like cheese puffs?" He stepped closer to the scooter and inspected it, feeling the new seat and handles.

"Cole! This is amazing!" He looked up at his smiling face. "I love it!" he said, examining the scooter again. He let out a joyful laugh. But then his face fell. "I haven't gotten you something," he said, gazing at Cole.

"Oh, well, you're making me a picnic with all my favorite foods, remember?" Cole leaned back against the lockers and smiled.

"No, that's on Thursday," said Harry, patting Cole's chest reassuringly.

"It is Thursday," said Cole, reaching into his royal blue jacket.

Harry laughed. "No it's not," he said. He grabbed for his handbag.

Cole quickly pulled his phone out of his jacket pocket and showed the date to Harry. "Thursday," he said, confirming what Harry had hoped wasn't true.

Another slip-up, Harry thought. Great. He sighed.

"But it's okay, you know—" Cole started.

"No, no, no, no. I knew it was Thursday. I was messing around." Harry laughed again. "I actually . . . I just have a few more things to finish cooking, and then I'm all yours! So I'm gonna go do that. It's all good. I'm good." Harry smiled like he truly meant it.

"What about class?" asked Cole.

"He multitasks!" Harry said, grinning. He patted Cole's chest affectionately and ran off.