Story 3: The Minotaur's Cart

Dice Roll: Minotaur, warrior, winged shoe, potion, cart, carry stick, cage, Trojan horse, spiral person

Once upon a time, warrior woman Cassandra decided she was sick of guard duty and wanted an adventure. So, she packed a few belongings into a sack, hung the sack from a sturdy stick, and, throwing the stick over her shoulder, marched out of the castle without saying good bye.

As she was walking, she saw a group of brigands attacking a lone minotaur towing a cart. She dropped her bundle, drew her sword, and joined the fray, fighting with the minotaur to drive off the attackers.

As they stood, elbow to elbow, and watched the brigands flee, the minotaur looked down at her and said, "Hey, thanks."

Cassandra smiled up at him. "You're welcome. Are you hurt?"

The minotaur shook its large bullish head, nose rings jingling from the motion. "No, but I'm tired and thirsty now. Been walking a long ways." He glanced at her a moment before adding, "Had to get out of the labyrinth first, you know. My part in that story was done." He sat, letting his back lean against the cart.

She sat down beside him, opened her bag, and pulled out a bottle of water. "Here."

"Thank you." He accepted the water and drained the bottle in a few long chugs.

"So, where are you headed?" she asked as she stowed away the empty bottle.

"Delivering the cart," the minotaur responded with a shrug. "There's some war going on and they need a cage."

"They need a cage?" she asked. She leaned over and peered over the open back end of the cart and spied a birdcage sitting in the straw. "Why would people at war need a birdcage?"

"They don't. They need a people cage."

"But people won't fit in a birdcage," she replied.

"Nope." He stood. "But, once I go through the portal to that story, it'll grow and become the cage they need."

"Can I come with you?" she asked as she stood. "I was sick of guard duty—it's so mundane and predictable. I wouldn't mind jumping into a story."

"Okay," the minotaur replied as he grabbed the cart's handles and once more began pulling it down the road. "But if the author says no, you gotta not jump in. I was warned to stay outta sight while making my delivery—I can't be seen, because I'm not in that story."

"I'll be careful," she promised.

They walked along the road, talking amiably.

Just as the sun was setting, the minotaur pulled the cart off the road and into the trees. Between two trees, wavering lines swirled and glowed, slowly spiraling continuously.

"Here we are: the portal to the story," the minotaur said. "Now, remember you promised to get permission before jumping in."

She nodded and stepped forward, bowing before the portal. "Author of this current story of war, my name is Cassandra. I've come with the minotaur to deliver a cart with a cage. May I enter the story?"

A breeze blew, tugging on her hair as she stood. The minotaur's nose rings jingled faintly.

From far away, someone chuckled, then a whispery voice replied, "Yes. You're exactly what the story needs."

The minotaur nodded and clapped a hand on her shoulder. "All right, then. Are you ready?"

She nodded.

"Then let's step through together."

They walked side-by-side into the swirling light.

They emerged on the edge of a bloody, dusty field strewn with stones. Far off, a walled city loomed. Outside the city bristled the tents of an army, flags snapping briskly in the breeze.

She gasped, "Oh! This is Troy..."

The minotaur merely shrugged and looked at the darkening sky. "I'd better get this into place before someone sees me."

She turned and saw the minotaur's cart, with its birdcage, had become a wide, low cart with a large wooden horse. "I thought you said they needed a cage...?"

The minotaur nodded. "Yup. A people cage. For people to be inside." He slapped the flank of the wooden horse. "This is it."

"What? Why would such a strange cage be needed?"

The minotaur grabbed the cart and began walking, whispering his reply, "I think they're gonna use it for an ambush."

She gasped as suddenly the scenes flashed through her mind: the horse in the war camp, soldiers filing inside... in the early dawn, the confused city finding the army gone and the giant horse in its place... the horse drawn into the city and left as the people celebrate... the hidden warriors sneaking out as dusk fell... the slaughter of Troy...

"No," she whispered. She ripped open her bag and yanked out her winged sandals. "I can get into the city! I can warn them!"

The minotaur shook his head. "Don't disrupt the story."

"No! The voice said I'm the one they need! Remember?" She yanked on her winged sandals and hovered briefly in the breeze. "I'm going to warn the Trojans. They don't have to die like that." She smiled at the minotaur. "Don't worry, my friend, I won't tell anyone you're here. Afterall, you're not part of this story." As she flew higher, she added, "Thanks for bringing me to an adventure!"

The minotaur trudged on, hauling his cart to the Greek encampment.

Cassandra entered Troy to warn the Trojan people of what was to come.