Story 9: A Trip to the Library

Dice Roll: cyclops, castle, cart, mirror, carry stick, basket, harp, trident, jester hat

The teacher raised his arms over his head, waving them to get the attention of the students milling around the yard. "Attention students! Line up for the bus! We're going on a field trip!"

"A field trip?!" a green-skinned boy shouted excitedly as he appeared beside the teacher. "Ohboyohboyohboy! Where are we going?"

"Yeah, where are we going?" asked a little centaur boy as he trotted up, two of his classmates on his back.

"Are we going to the zoo?" a horned child asked.

"Or maybe the aquarium?" a scaly child asked.

"Is it another museum?" one child asked, rolling her eyes. She sighed loudly as she crossed her feathered arms and added, "Art or history?"

"No," the teacher replied, smiling as he looked down at the assembling children. "We are not going to the zoo, or the aquarium, or any museums today. We are going somewhere far more fun. We are going to a place full of adventures! Stories! Hours of entertainment!" He added under his breath, "With learning mixed in, which you won't notice..." He gestured to the open bus doors. "Everyone on the bus!"

"Are we going to the movies?!" one child guessed as they all converged on the bus, racing up the stairs and fighting for the best seats.

All the kids squealed in excitement at the prospect.

"What are we seeing?"

"I hope it's a superhero movie."

"Do we get popcorn?"

"I wanna see the new detective princess movie!"

"Are you gonna buy us candy?!"

The teacher stood up at the front of the bus and raised his arms, gesturing for the students to quiet down.

Once the excited chatter had faded to whispers, one child, sitting up front, tentatively raised a hand and asked, "Mr. Cy, where are we going?"

The teacher, Mr. Cy, smiled down at the student as he fixed his one eye on her. "I'm glad you asked, Aayla." He paused as he looked over the busload of kids, eye sweeping over each of their faces before he announced, "We're going to the library."

"The library?" the feathered girl asked, making a look of distaste. "Why are we being punished?"

"I thought you said we were going somewhere fun!" the green boy shouted from the back seat.

As the students all nodded in agreement and began voicing their complaints, Mr. Cy once more held up his hands. "Students! If you'd rather spend the day taking practice exams for next week's literature test, I'm willing to call off this field trip!"

The students fell silent, elbows nudging and many whispered, "Ssshhhh," silencing the last of the dissenting voices.

"All right. That's better," Mr. Cy said once everyone silently looked at him. "As I said, we're going to the library. Apparently, you don't think it's as fun a place as I do, but I'm hoping you'll give it a chance. The library houses thousands of books, each filled with stories and characters and events, some fact and some fiction, but all wonderful. There are more tales there than you'd ever be able to watch at the theatre."

He turned and spoke briefly to the busdriver. The bus lurched forward with a slight jolt, then began its journey.

Mr. Cy looked back over the students and said, "To make sure you get the most out of this visit, you will be participating in a little exercise. I'll give you more instructions once we arrive."