Part 5

I froze, and I assumed the boys did as well, as there was silence coming from the phone. Then all four of my brothers began to laugh nervously and trying to talk at the same time. At that moment, mom re-entered the room, followed by the nurse. Mom raised a brow at the scene in front of her before going back to her chair beside dad. The nurse came over to my bedside, and started to ask me questions, which made the boys go silent. I answered all the questions as best I could, before getting comfortable on the bed as the nurse put more painkillers into my IV. The nurse left and I was once again left with my family. While the nurse had been asking me questions, it seemed that dad had gotten the answer to his question. He expressed his disappointment in the boys, mom adding in her opinion as well. I smiled, just happy that my brothers were able to call.

"Oh, I nearly forgot. The four of us managed to get some time to come visit family, so we should be there in a day or so."

"That's great news, Alex. I will message you the address of the hospital if Seren isn't out by the time you get here. Oh, Seren looks like she is about to fall asleep. How about you say your goodbyes for now, then both your father and I can talk a little more if you have the time."

The boys each said goodbye, which I sleepily responded to before finally succumbing to the darkness.

When I came to again, I noticed that I had different visitors. It seemed that Nicholas had convinced his father to come visit me. I smiled at the boy, before trying to rub the sleepiness out of my eyes. My throat was a little parched, so I reached for my glass of water, only to have it picked up and held out to me by the older man. I smiled at him in thanks before taking a few sips of water. I sighed in happiness as the cool liquid went down my throat. When I opened my eyes again, I saw Nicholas smiling at me. I returned the smile before turning to his father, who had cleared his throat.

"I wanted to thank you for saving my son. I am sorry that you were injured in the process, though. If there is any way I could help, would you be willing to let me know?"

"You are very welcome. And it's fine, I just did what I thought best. Your son is a very sweet boy, and I couldn't bear the thought of something happening to him when I could stop it. I don't need any payment what-so-ever, so you need not worry. Oh, right, how rude of me. My name is Seren Varteni."

"Oh, sorry. My name is Aramis Cults, and you already know my son, Nicholas."

"Hi! I drew you a picture and wrote you a get-wellcard. I hope you feel better soon." Nicholas's smile brightened the whole room,and it was impossible to not smile back at him. I accepted both the picture andthe card, admiring the beautiful colors as well as the well-drawn animals andtold the seven-year-old as much. He beamed and puffed out his chest with pride,and I had to hide a small laugh. I read the card, and it was obvious that thechild had written it himself. I smiled and thanked him for both the picture andthe card.