17: lizard?

~hammer to fall - queen~

THROUGHOUT SCHOOL THE FOLLOWING DAY, Jennifer didn't hear from Nancy once

THROUGHOUT SCHOOL THE FOLLOWING DAY, Jennifer didn't hear from Nancy once. And neither did Steve. In fact, neither had even seen the girl.

Jennifer attended all of her classes, painfully aware of the empty desk beside her. A few of her friends asked her where the Wheeler girl was and she didn't have an answer for them.

Steve hadn't given her absence much thought until after basketball practice later that evening. Billy had been tormenting him all practice and Steve had finally escaped to the showers. Only, he seemed to follow him there too.

"Don't sweat it, Harrington," Billy taunted. "Todays just not your day, man,"

Steve rinsed the shampoo from his hair and ignored the boy.

"Yeah. Not your week," Tommy chimed in, standing across from the two. "You and the princess break up for one day and she's already running off with the freak's brother,"

When Steve's jaw clenched at this, Tommy's lips spread into a wide grin in realization.

"Oh, shit. You don't know," Tommy snickered. "Jonathan and the princess skipped yesterday and still haven't shown,"

Steve turned away as Tommy got closer to his face.

"But that must just be a coincidence, right?" Tommy laughed loudly before turning and leaving the room, leaving Steve stuck with Billy.

"Don't take it too hard, man. A pretty boy like you has got nothing to worry about," Billy told him. "Plenty of bitches in the sea,"

Steve sent the boy a short glare while continuing to wash his hair, not bothering to say anything.

"Say, I hear that Marshall chick is pretty good in bed," Billy suggested.

Steve froze.

Whatever Billy heard about Jen was a complete lie. Obviously he got fed whatever information Eric had made up about the girl.

"And I also heard she gets into bed pretty easily," Billy continued, noticing Steve's reaction. "If you know what I mean,"

"Hey, man you don't know what you're-,"

"Hey, no hard feelings, man," Billy said, raising his hands. "But, telling you now, if you don't take her, I will,"

Steve started for Billy, but he had already started for the exit, leaving Steve standing with shampoo covering his head, his anger practically radiating off of him.

*

"Matt, is something going on again?"

Matt was sitting on the end of Jennifer's bed, his eyebrows furrowed in worry. Although he hadn't told Jennifer, his mind had been clouded with images of Will.