Chapter 1

Beep. Beep.

A faint beeping noise floats to my ears from my right side. Why is my brain so foggy? I can't remember anything from last night. Did I get wasted last night? Did someone spike my drink? Is this what a hangover feels like?

Beep. Beep.

I flutter open my heavy eyelids, and quickly shut them when a bright light blinds me. Where am I? I swallow deeply, wincing from the dryness in my throat. I open my eyes, slowly taking in the bright light. I squint up at the white lights above me.

Beep. Beep.

I take a deep breath, only to feel something resting on face and into my nose. What is that? Am I in a hospital?

Beep. Beep.

Something warm tightens around my right hand. My eyes dart down to see my twin brother, Zayn, with his head resting on the bed. His eyes are shut closed as he breathes deeply through his nose. He looks terrible. Zayn has huge bags under his eyes from lack of sleep. He looks so much older than the last time I saw him. Zayn couldn't even grow facial hair, and now he has a small beard on his face. How did he become so much older?

Beep. Beep.

I attempt to wake Zayn up, but my other hand seems to be held down by something. I turn my head to the right, where a blonde guy is sleeping soundly. His head is right next to my stomach, and his face is facing me. Who is this and why is he holding my hand?

The monitor next to my bed begins to beep even louder than before, causing Zayn to sit straight up at the sound. "Natalie!" He shouts as if he was surprised. I wince at the loud noise. "Sorry." He quickly apologises.

The blonde boy sleeping next to me lifts his head up, slowly. "Zayn, what's wrong?" He speaks with a strong Irish accent.

"Mate, look!" Zayn points at me, grinning like a five year old on Christmas morning.

"Zayn?" I croak, shutting my eyes from the pain in my throat because it is so dry.

"Natalie?" The Irish boy breathes.

I flicker my eyes open again to stare at the blonde, Irish boy. Wait. I remember him. He is in the boy band One Direction with Zayn. That doesn't explain why he is holding my hand. I've never met him before.

"I'll go get the doctor!" Zayn practically races out of the room, leaving Niall and I alone.

Tears are streaming down his face as he gazes at me. Why is he crying? His free hand reach towards my face, and I quickly dart back. A flash of pain and confusion run across his face.

"Tilly-"

The door swings back open, and Zayn follows a man in a white coat in the room. "Ahh, Ms. Malik. You're awake." He strolls over to me, checking over my body. "Okay, everything seems to be fine. Now, can you tell me your name?"

My eyes dart to Zayn's, who nods at me encouragingly. "Why am I here?" I ignore the doctor's question.

Zayn sits back down next to me. "You were in a car accident." He explains, tears gathering in his eyes.

What? I was in a car accident?!

"You have been in a coma for month." Niall manages to say through his own tears. He rubs the back of my hand, soothingly with his thumb.

"Ca-" I cough at the dryness of my throat. The doctor hands me a bottle of water from a hidden mini fridge. He unscrews the lid before handing it over to me. I practically chug the water down, and smile when I feel satisfied. "Can you let go of my hand?" I repeat myself clearer.