Part 1

The city of Canestro is Teraoune's shining star. Music, lights, performers, and revelry are the ambience of a city that never sleeps. By day, the narrow cobblestone streets are flocked by the bustling metropolis, trying to go about their daily lives as they squeeze past one another and dodge porters taking various goods from trade carts that rumble over the stones. Town criers announced the news of the day whilst children played and wove through the streets between grownups and chattel, who swore at them as they ran past. At night, all those go away, and the Canestro University student body, the city's beating heart, filters onto the streets. They sing, and dance, and laugh, and embrace in the streets and its alleys, in perpetual celebration and jubilation of being freed from their academic shackles for another night. The districts of Canestro are named after the Saints to whom they are dedicated. St Descadel is the market district; hence it is dedicated to the Saint of Commerce, Trade and the Bounty. Food vendors, bakers, smiths, craftsmen and guildsmen of every variety call it their home. St Dorian's is the Saint of Learning, Knowledge and Curiosity, and so the University and its ever-lively student body are based there. Saint Ava is the Saint of Safety, Security and Protection, that district is named after the massive Cathedral of the same name that was erected there from the city's beginnings. St Tullio's, the Saint of Father's, Wisdom and The Path was dedicated to the city's wealthier citizens. There's never a dull moment, never a time where you cannot spot a smiling face, never a time where you cannot find a place and person to have a good time with. It is the greatest place to be young in all of the Straits.

No dark corners, no privacy, and nowhere to slip away unnoticed. Perhaps in St Ava's District? The Inquisition hadn't exactly made her job easy, asking her to find her contact in this stone jungle, all tangled up with potential witnesses. To try and hide away here is asking to stand out. She had to mingle with the crowds. She hated getting up in them, but it might be the only way to get around unnoticed. She supposed there wasn't much else that could've been done; this is how the contact wanted to meet her. The city is divided into quadrants by four streets that meet in the middle at Plaza de Amelie right in the middle. The quadrants were named after the four saints that watch over the city, and have their likenesses carved into marble statues that stand proudly over the people atop their magnificent fountain plinths. Master Inquisitor Jerome told her to find her contact at one of the taverns in St Dorian's district. The one with the university, the dormitories, and where every pub, theatre, tobacco house and the Bella Henriette dancehall could be found. Every damned student would be there.

The contact was staying in a tavern called "The Chopping Block". The guard at the southern gate was kind enough to provide her with directions and even offered to ask one of his associates to walk her there. Apparently, it was unsafe for ladies such as herself to be walking alone at night, but that wouldn't make her job any easier. Besides, it's not like it's much safer for a woman to be alone in a public house full of young men either, and she'd rather avoid using her Inquisitor's medallion as much as possible. It defeated the purpose of being inconspicuous. St Ava's and St Tullio's Districts were the southern districts of the city and is where the cathedral and upper-class residencies were respectively. At this time of night, The southern districts tend to be quieter and darker to allow the wealthy residents some some reprieve from the bawdy nightlife. However, they were obviously heavily monitored. St Ava's Cathedral dominated the district, and so was named after it. It was ten stories tall-the largest cathedral other than Catherdral St Valeria Imperia in the so-named capital of Valeria Capita. The details of it were lost at this time of night, but its imposing silhouette and wide, arching buttresses ensured that no matter what time of day, you were conscious that Nine Saints were watching all the time.

She didn't need an escort anyhow. These streets were regularly patrolled by guardsmen. It's a wonder why the guard at the gate even recommended it. Being someone in her line of work she found that to be somewhat suspicious, and she would habitually check over her shoulder. She had two options to get where she needed to go. She could head northward up the South Main Road and then across the East Main Road to St Dorian's, but even at this hour the main roads are populated, and she would prefer to slink away at a moment's notice if she needed to. Instead, she opted to take the narrow, winding streets through St Tullio's district, where the city's gilded pockets come to hide. Much of the student base is comprised of the noble families' kindred. The library is open for all to access, but one must produce a letter of recommendation from one of the noble houses, presented with the house's wax seal. At the very least, it must come with a recommendation from someone of some esteem. If one is to become a regular student there, then an additional tuition fee must be paid. With that, you can get lodging, meals, and the esteemed blue robes of the university, as well as unlimited access to the library and, of course, access to the professors.