Extra: What If

Jungkook was back to being the cold working machine he used to be.

The only difference from before was that he went to the Imperial Marriage Registry to write Kim Taehyung as his spouse, a move that made headlines in every major newspaper and stirred up the entire Empire without the person in question caring.

He buried himself in the deep pile of work, using busyness to numb his growing despair and pain. Time ended up being a meaningless and lifeless medium.

Twenty years later, he became ill from overwork. In the end, he still lay on the bed he used to keep warm, pretending he could still breathe in the scent that had long since dissipated into the air. 

This huge house had memories. Even if the scent of Taehyung was gone, the soft bed, the warm-coloured decoration, and the small furniture and decorations that Taehyung carefully picked up from the old market in the past— could all hit Jungkook's heart in an instant and overwhelm him, causing him to be vulnerable.

Those were... the only things Taehyung had left.

In the haze, he seemed to see Taehyung. For the first time in years, he dreamed of that person.

It was the later Taehyung- his face was pale, who seldom smiled. He only quietly gazed at him. The emotions in his eyes were devout and affectionate as ever tinged with caution. His heart was full of mixed feelings, not knowing whether it was ecstasy, heartache, or fear of losing. 

He hastily extended his hand to such Taehyung.

"...Tae-Taehyung..."

His hair was now completely white, and his face was marked by age. He vaguely wondered if Taehyung would recognize him. He was no longer the vigorous alpha he used to be.

However, this time, Taehyung didn't reach out to hold his hand. The illusion completely disappeared in the next instant, and he fell into another abyss. This time, he never woke up.

When Jungkook opened his eyes again, everything changed. He was standing still in the vast crowd of people, surrounded by a lot of traffic and voices, but only his corner of the world was particularly quiet, out of place, as if he was surrounded by a film that had been speeded up in colour while he was a monochrome photograph left behind in the old days.

Where was he?

He noticed that... his heart and lungs, which had since been constantly ailing, had completely returned to normal...

Where was he?

He lifted his hand and tried to pat the passerby on the shoulder. His fingers... actually passed through the body of the passerby. Stunned, Jungkook tried several times to make sure he couldn't touch any oncoming pedestrians.

Yet, he stood solidly on the earth.

The entity that actually exists, was him? 

...Or this world?

He suddenly thought of something.

Wait, wasn't he supposed to be dead?

If he was currently a lonely soul, where would he be?

...Also, that person.

Was that person here...

Would he still be alive?

Would he still have a chance to meet... him?

His heart, which had long been silent and frozen for years, was suddenly wrapped in hope from nowhere. He was uncontrollably excited, searching for any visible landmarks.