The Morning Bell

"Magic is a magnificent aspect of the world that flows through the very soil of which we walk upon. The magic which you will learn to harness at this academy is a fragment of the weave that, for most of you, flows through your veins; virtue of being born in the land of magic that is Zerim. We offer many different areas of study. While many of the basic classes you'll learn here are necessary for your education, such as Basic Alchemy and Magical Theory, most of your time will be spent studying and harnessing one of the many schools of magic. There is Evocation, for those who want to control the elements and produce them from their bodies. Transmutation, for those who wish to alter the world around them. Illusion, for the ones of you who wish to obscure yourselves and trick the minds of others. Conjuration, for those who enjoy summoning creatures and objects alike. Enchantment, for those who want to manipulate the people around them. Along with many others. So now I present to you, your home for the next many years: Sanli's Academy for the Magically Gifted."

"I don't think the new kids would pay attention to all that, Bloom." Nebi called from across the dorm room.

Bloom set his script down in his lap and sighed. The magical light floating above the unlit sconces around the room lit up his maroon skin as well as his amber orange eyes. He reached up and nervously pulled at the tip of one of his horns that stuck from his head. He glanced at his friend, Nebi, who was rummaging through one of the cupboards in Bloom's dorm room.

"That's not very helpful." He mumbled.
She always tended to visit him any time she was free. Mostly due to the fact that she wasn't interested in making any more friends than just him. "I never paid attention to what my tour guide said." She said as she reached her small body deeper into the drawer.

Bloom looked at his friend as she had her scaly body half-way into a cupboard filled with a modicum of old textbooks. "What are you looking for?" He asked.

Nebi rummaged around for a few seconds before finally getting out and holding a small object up in triumph. "Ah ha. I've found it." She smiled through her toothy reptilian maw.

Bloom leaned forward and squinted his eyes at the tiny glistening object in Nebi's clutches. "A silver piece?" He asked, seeing the small silver coin held between Nebi's claws.

"My silver piece. Here," She said, flipping the coin to Bloom, causing a light ding to ring through the air. "Now, it landed on the number side right?"

Bloom looked down at the coin. Sure enough, it was on the side that depicted the date it was made: 31st of Moon's Passing, 698.

"Yeah it shows the date." He said.

Nebi's smile grew. "Flip it over." She ordered.

He flipped the coin over to see the other side where it simply showed an engraving of the Zerimnian capital from nearly a century ago when it first began producing the currency.

"Ok... it shows Yivilrin."

"Now flip it again."

"Really?"

"Just trust me."

Bloom held back a sigh as he flipped it again. Then his eyes widened slightly as he saw the same engraving of the city scape. He flipped it again to see the engraving again. "A double sided coin?" He asked, flipping the coin again, once again seeing the engraving of the capital.

Nebi smiled at him. "Nope, an illusion. I enchanted it so the face of the coin with the numbers can appear as either of the two faces." She explained, the smile growing across her scaly face.

Bloom smiled before flipping the coin back to Nebi with yet another ding flying into the air. "How's Mr. Sianardir's classes?" Bloom asked.

Nebi crawled onto the bed next to the chair Bloom sat in and let out a groan. "I like what he teaches. But, by the divines he is so annoying to deal with. I mean, he doesn't like my jokes at all. He constantly yells at everyone else. He hardly teaches us any useful illusion spells. And, worst of all, he has no sense of humor." Nebi complained, digging her snout into the sheets of the bed.