The Field Trip

"Good to see all of you have remembered we are meeting in the courtyard today. Wouldn't want any of you to miss this special day, now would we?" Mr. Gogglerigle stated, standing atop a simple wooden stool as to see his class, who were all scattered about the courtyard, staring at him.

Mr Gogglerigle was a small elderly gnome, however that didn't stop his happy-go-lucky attitude. Mr Gogglerigle, according to most others, was often more enthusiastic than most of his students about the lesson he was teaching.

Snow-white hair matted the top of his head as well as down to a beard under his chin. He wore small red mage's robes that were very finely woven with gold along the edges with several arcane runes etched within the stitching.

In his hand he held a small wooden staff that held a red gem at its tip. If one looked closely, they could see a flickering flame within it.

Bloom had arrived but a minute before the professor had begun his class. He stuck to the edge of the courtyard, out of the way of most of the other students. He sat at one of the small tables around the courtyard.

The cloth of the seat, as well as the table, was slightly matted with snow as was the weather around the academy. The academy was within the far northern shores of Zerim where the land was layered with snow year-round.

Fortunately, the cold wasn't an issue given the enchanted bracelet he wore, which kept the cold off of him; a graduation present from his mother before he moved to join the academy.

"Now, I'm sure you are all wondering the destination of such a magnificent field trip like we are going on." Mr. Grogglerigle paused for a moment for questions, however no one spoke. "Well it is an honor of mine to tell you all that we are going to an old Icaryian ruin site that has previously been excavated by order of the Zerimnian council."

Bloom's head shot up at the mention of the ruins as another bout of silence fell over the courtyard, however this time, it wasn't of boredom or fatigue from not having had a good sleep the night prior. Instead, it was the silence of intrigue.
The professor smiled at the sudden attention. "Ah, that got your attention then." He chuckled. "As you should, it's not every day a mage gets to study the ruins of the ancient Icaryian elves. Oh, and for bonus points, who would like to tell me something about them? Most know the names but so much less about the history." He mentioned as he glanced about the class.

A hand shot up from the corner of the mass of students. All the student's heads turned to see Bloom, now standing, with his hand up.
Mr. Gogglerigle smiled and gestured his staff toward the tiefling. "Ah yes, Mr. Bloom. You know of the Icaryians? Please, share with the class." He offered.

Bloom swallowed down his nervousness as all heads turned to him; then he spoke. "The Icaryian elves were a kingdom of elves who wielded immense magical power. Their kingdoms were enchanted to soar high above the clouds, out of sight of any others on the ground. But due to their belief that they were equal to gods, a small group of them had demolished the Icayian kingdoms and sent their civilization crumbling down... literally." He explained.
A brief wave of silence fell upon the room safe for a few minor muttered in the crowd. Bloom's face flushed, thinking he might have gotten a detail wrong. Then he heard Mr. Gogglerigle clapping.

"Excellent Mr. Bloom. You've earned your points." The professor stated with an eager smile.

A wave of muttering and annoyed glances shifted to and from Bloom and Mr. Gogglerigle. Then a voice shouted out from a tall red dragonborn.

"So you can learn that, but not how to cast a bolt of fire?" They shouted, followed by a mix of laughs and annoyed glances toward both Bloom and the Dragonborn for their remark.