Ch.7

After tip-toeing out of my family's pod, I walk to where Neteyam said to meet. The night air smells fresh, and my lungs feel very refreshed.

The sand is cool on my feet as I walk along the shore. It is very dark, the only light coming from the moon. Insects buzz in the silence of the night.

This is my favorite environment to be in. The peacefulness and calming atmosphere make me feel euphoric.

I quietly walk along the bouncy bridge and try to make as little noise as possible, which wasn't too hard as the bridge material was soft and leathery, making my feet create a faint padding noise as I stroll toward the meeting spot.

I reach the South East Bridge and lower myself down in the chilling water. I take in a gasp as my lower body is submerged. I notice that Neteyam isn't there yet, I worry for a moment as his father is pretty strict with them.

I decided not to get anxious and just wait for a moment. I look down into the water and glide my hands around, creating ripples. I found this liquid the most gorgeous thing on Pandora.

The things water can do, keeping all beings hydrated, providing an environment for many organisms, and securing a home for my clan.

I hear not-so-light footsteps coming my way, and as I'm not sure who it is, I slowly go underwater, keeping my eyes and ears above the fluid so my senses are higher.

The footsteps slow above my head as the person walks onto the bridge, it boeing under the weight.

I hold my breath until I see a pair of Midnight Blue legs swing over the edge and into the water, not making too much noise but much less graceful than I.

I rise above the water again with my pearly white teeth smiling at the boy in front of me.

"Neteyam!" I whisper exclaim as he slides into the water. We saw each other not too long ago yet it still makes me excited to see him.

I give him a short hug, not wanting to make it weird. I hate that I wish I could be in his arms longer, despite the cold water his body is radiating warmth.

Smiling, we lean against some mangrove tree roots and let our legs float in the water.

"Was it hard for you to leave your family?" He asks, turning to me.

I shake my head. "No, I just listened for their breathing to create a rhythm. What about you? I know your dad can be a little bit stricter."

Neteyam shrugs his shoulders, and I tilt my head. "It wasn't too hard. They suspected something, though. I don't know how." His eyebrows are furrowed, and I giggle.

"Did you seem like something was on your mind?" I smile at him.

"I-I don't think so." He raises his voice as he stutters in his flustered state. "I've never snuck out before, so maybe I was acting different." He ponders in shame.

"Don't worry. I've never left at this time to come meet anyone. I don't think anyone other than Ao'nung looked at me strangely, but who cares what Ao'nung thinks, right?" My teeth twinkle in display and Neteyam's cheeks seem to grow a darker shade.

"...right." He avoids eye contact with me and looks into the water where his hands fiddle with each other. I notice the air of awkwardness that has accumulated and try to continue our conversation.

"What do you think of the reef so far?" I ask.

"I like it, but I miss the forest." A sadness grows in his eyes and I regret asking.

"I'm sure you do. You're a quick learner though, I've learned from the lessons today, and I'm sure you'll adapt quickly. I'm confident in you Neteyam." I smile at him and I can see his chest puff out slightly.