Things that Irk Me in Fanfictions

This little rant came to me when I was reading yet another cringe fanfic (not pointing any fingers, but it was MHA ->-). I would have posted this in my announcements, but I'm afraid I would have surpassed the word count 😅so here we are.

I will be brutal about this and won't hesitate to speak. This is - need I remind you in case you forget - MY OPINION!! NO ONE ELSE'S BUT MINE!  

ᴺᴼᵂ ᴾᴸᴬᵞᴵᴺᴳ: 𝕭𝖗𝖚𝖙𝖆𝖑 𝖇𝖞 𝕺𝖑𝖎𝖛𝖎𝖆 𝕽𝖔𝖉𝖗𝖎𝖌𝖔 

1. ℂ𝕝𝕚𝕔𝕙𝕖 𝕤𝕥𝕠𝕣𝕪 𝕡𝕝𝕠𝕥, 𝕔𝕝𝕚𝕔𝕙𝕖 𝕖𝕧𝕖𝕣𝕪𝕥𝕙𝕚𝕟𝕘, 𝕖𝕥𝕔., 𝕖𝕥𝕔.

I mostly find this kind of problem when it comes to My Hero Academia fanfics and the authors thinking that they are SOoOo quirky by thinking up this so-called "original" idea when a bunch of other people have thought this up. It's not just My Hero Academia that has this problem, legit other fandoms have this exact issue as well, and it ticks me off. 

I'm not kidding you when I read a DaiSuga fanfic with a cliche plotline. The author had an eye-catching book cover, hook, and everything else. The sad thing was it was a favored story: with lots of votes, comments, and views. I'm surprised people liked this flaming piece of garbage of fanfic. 

And the worst thing of all... 

....they had poor grammar and spelling 😱 AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! 

I searched through all the comments to see if they would have corrected their spelling NoPe. Not a single person corrected them or made an effort to. Now I understand that some people want to stay polite and not say anything to them but come on, it is how they ✨learn ✨ if you point it out to the author, they can improve and become better. GoSh. 

Here's the run down from what I remember of the fanfic and basically what I see in every other fanfic that is just as cliche: 

- The character wakes up in a sad mood or is beaten awake by their parents, and the following few paragraphs are about them getting abused by the parents. (This is mainly because if the main character is a guy, they came out to their parents, and they are homophobic and whatnot.)

- One of the protagonist's friends finds out that the main character (or Suga in the fanfic) is gay and tells the others; the MC finds out and runs away crying with the love interest following. 

- There are unnecessary time skips because and I quote, "ThE aUtHoR iS lAzY aS fUdGe." Bro...WHAT THE- 

Anyway..., 

- The main character runs away to either the bathroom or MaGicAlLy teleport home and starts doing emo things. Que the love interest coming in, finding them hurting themselves and other fluffy things that my angsty butt wouldn't be able to handle. 

(^^ This is the biggest issue in Depressed Kirishima AU. I've noticed this trend a lot in all of the fanfics I've read of him when I'm feeling down and want something to make me cry - but not of cringe and cliche O-o.- I made my younger and older sister want to die when I showed them that fanfic and a bunch of other cringe-as-fudge fanfics.)

I don't remember the rest because that fanfic was so bad that I wanted to throw up or spaghetti myself. 

2. 𝔸𝕓𝕦𝕤𝕚𝕧𝕖 ℙ𝕒𝕣𝕖𝕟𝕥𝕤 𝕒𝕟𝕕𝕚𝕠𝕗𝕒𝕜𝕕𝕗𝕛𝕝𝕛𝕠 𝔹𝕆𝕆 ℍ𝕆𝕆

Some stories and authors can pull this off without making the story horrible. I've seen it happen, and it's like finding a diamond in the rough because it is so rare for someone to pull off such a remarkable abusive douchebag of a dad or mom. I applaud the people that can do that because not many writers possess that ability, even though I want that character to die soon after. 

Depressed Kirishima AU is the worst for this; not joking. It's like every other fanfic I find both Kiri's parents are divorced, or his mom is dead his dad blames him for it. 

Tips on pulling off the Abusive Parent(s) in a story without wanting to make someone throw up: 

- GET SOMEONE WHO IS BRUTAL TO READ YOUR STORY, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, FIND SOMEONE PASSIONATE ABOUT WRITING! It could be a writer-nerd friend that you forced to look over it or someone you found online (even an online friend) who knows about the fandom you're writing about.

And by-God people! Don't be a wuss when someone hurts your feewings 🥺if they don't like what you have so far. Take it like a mature human being and find ways to improve. -_-

- Look on Pinterest for tips. 

Most times, Pinterest has some pretty good ideas for writing, and the app helps a lot. 

- Co-op with other writers for help or even with a friend who has a good grasp of this topic. 

3. ℙ𝕠𝕠𝕣 𝔾𝕣𝕒𝕞𝕞𝕒𝕣 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕊𝕡𝕖𝕝𝕝𝕚𝕟𝕘 

...Why do I even need to bring this up...? WhY?? 

As a person who has dyslexia, I struggle with spelling, and I get some of my numbers and letters mixed up. It bugs me that there are spelling mistakes in my stories and others. Grammarly and WordTune are right up my butt about my spelling and grammar -- even if Grammarly can be annoying 😒.-- 

The best thing I can suggest is using Grammarly and WordTune. Plus, having English guru friends in your back pocket is a bonus.  

.·:*¨༺ ༻¨*:·.

I am going to stop here before I go further into this rabbit hole, and I chuck my laptop across the room. This has been my ted talk about what 3 things irk me in fanfics. If you want to hear more of my unwanted opinion, I'm simply one comment or PM away. 

Bye-bye for now :).