1. The SATs, Nerves, and Beacon

Ruby stood at the entrance to Signal Academy. She took a deep breath, and walked into the hallways. Today was just as stressful for her as any Signal student. She curled her tail in anticipation. Today was the SAT's. She took a breath. "Hello, Yang," she said, nodding to her cousin.

"Ruby!" Yang cried, running up to her. "How's it going?" She gave Yang a forced smile.

"I was recommended for the academy too, but I'm still not guaranteed! I'm pretty nervous, and you should be too. There's no way you're getting into beacon if you do poorly on the SATs; your scores matter! This is a huge deal, I'm not sure you should be so casual"- Ruby rambled on and on about the tests. Yang had to put her hand over Ruby's mouth to stop her. This is the way of nervous 18-year-olds.

"Ruby. You'll do fine. Us Seniors at Signal take the test later than everyone else, but we'll still make it in time." Ruby sighed, knowing Yang was right. She looked up. Time to take a test.

(Some time later)

"Yang! I got in!" Cried Ruby. "Beacon accepted me!" She was so excited, her tail was wagging.

"Me too!" Yang exclaimed, then smiled. "I knew you could do it, cuz. You're the best."

"It says here my scores were so phenomenal they couldn't say no!" Ruby said, grinning and jumping up and down excitedly. Then she stared. "Crud! The jump start is in a week!"

"Ohmygod!" Yang said, now panicking. "My hair supplies! I need to pack quickly! Ruby, what do we"-

"Yang, cmon. Is your hair that important?"

"Ruby. Rose. Did those words just come out of your mouth?"

"No...?" Ruby replied skeptically. Yang glared at her and dragged her to her room, Ruby shrieking in protest. "Aghhh! Yang! Let me gooooo!"

"Not until I'm all packed. That is your punishment for saying my hair isn't important!"

"I never said such a thing"-

"Silence, pheasant!"

"Yang," Ruby said mildly, "I need to pack too."

"No such thing!" said Yang. "I have already prepared your unworthy Kit of survival!"

"You focus on me more than you," Ruby said mildly. She whipped around, hitting Yang in the face with her tail. "I need to make sure you packed it right. I may have a lot of money, but money doesn't fix your mistakes."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Demanded Yang.

"You're careless, you're hot-headed, flirtatious, short tempered-"

"I am not short tempered!" Yang snarled. Then she flinched, realizing that she was probably proving Ruby's point. She sighed sheepishly.

"Need I go on?" Ruby inquired. "I care about you a lot, Cuz. But you're a legitimate mess." Even more so than me, Ruby thought. She stood and flashed Yang a smile. "Thanks for your help, but I think I'm good to go now." She grinned as Yang sneezed.

"Aww, Ruby! Your fur is in my nose!"

"Shouldn't a breathed in," she teased.

"Rubyyyyyy!" Ruby grinned, punching her sister's mechanical arm playfully.

"I'd need an ARMy to defeat you," joked Ruby.

"Be quiet, futinari!

"No idea what that is," said Ruby sarcastically.

"Ruby! Don't (cartoonish beep cuz I'm not older than 16) with me!" Ruby laughed internally before walking a way for the fortieth time. This time, she didn't look back.

One week later, on Patch's Airship to Beacon

Ruby smirked. "Yang, you got in by the skin of your teeth. If you mess up once, since you're on probation, you're out!"

"So! You could've payed the professor off!"

"I'm rich, Yang. Not that rich."

"You're like a quadrillionaire!"

"Billion, approaching trillion," warned Ruby. "And I have taxes."

"What happened to the girl worried about failing her SATs? I liked her better!"

"Well yes, until I passed. With flying colors."

"What do you mean?"

"Oh look, a birdie!" Whistled Ruby. (Read: Qrow watching his daughter. Ruby knows this) She smiled out the window at her so called 'Uncle Qrow'- her father. Taken over Rose Industries, the SDC's largest competitor for Dust Sales. Well, it was no competition. With kinder treatment to their workforce and alliance with the Xiao-Long department of Global Defense, they were a powerful force, not to be reckoned with. The SDC (of which Ruby was never told the translation) hated the Roses with a fiery passion.

Ruby was about to fin out just how much. I mean, she was also going to find out how quickly hate could turn to love. And also how terrible people are. Oh, screw it.