3. Love at First Sight, Hate at First Thought

Ruby stepped off the airship and took a deep breath. She held it for a second. Then she noticed a girl dressed in royal blue and white and everything froze. Stark hair, white as snow, with icy blue eyes.

Ruby immediately...

Hated her.

The girl walked over with an air of purpose. "Get out of my way, dolt," she snarled, shoving Ruby to the side.

"Weiss Schnee. I've heard all about you!" Ruby spat.

"And I've heard nothing of you," she retorted coldly.

"Hey." Oscar walked up. "Leave her alone, Ice Queen. You're nothing compared to her!"

"And you're nothing compared to me."

"So?" Oscar stepped closer to her. "She's my girlfriend." Ruby glared.

"I never agreed to thi-" she began, protesting in Oscar's direction.

"Roll with it, sweetheart."

"Don't-" he shushed her with a glance. She returned her attention to Weiss. Weiss's cold stare hardened.

But something was different on Weiss's face. Something about her looked broken, even more so than before Oscar called her his girlfriend.

Curious.

Yes, very curious.

Weiss's POV 

She's straight, Weiss thought, breaking internally even further. "So you two are together?" She glanced angrily at the ground, silently cursing herself. "Fitting. A beautiful flower and a useless tree."

Weiss noticed Ruby blush when she said 'beautiful'. She sighed; it must've been a figment of her imagination. She pulled out her phone and turned away, walking off angrily. The old building made of brick awaited her.

This was going to be an interesting year. She entered the centralized location of buildings and saw other students. Again, this felt like Deja Vu.

What was going on?

Ruby's POV

Ruby fingered the icicle pendant that belonged to her mother. Just for a moment, she slid it off her neck and into her palm. Her mind felt blank. She couldn't put her tail on it.

Then she returned it to around her neck. Something- a feeling of euphoria, maybe- disappeared as her mind settled back to its normal state. She no longer felt like her whole world was missing, yet there. She walked into the courtyard, Oscar trailing not far behind.

"We are not dating," she reminded him. He wasn't even remotely close to in her league. Not because of his social status, but because of his personality.

"We could try," Oscar suggested.

"..." Ruby said nothing before blurting, "I'm a futinari!"

"Okay?" He said, not remotely surprised. "And I care why?" Oscar secretly smiled. Oh, this was too good! He had leverage. Leverage was good, no, great. Just act like her friend. You'll win her over.

She blinked. She felt something stirring inside her- but it felt all wrong, forced. She smiled at him. Knowing she was going to regret this, she agreed. "I'll be your girlfriend."

Ozpin POV

Ozpin frowned. "That Oscar boy... is playing a very dangerous game. He's taking advantage of the situation. I'm not sure I approve with how Qrow handled Ruby and Weiss the last time."

He sipped his coffee.

"Glynda, this is shaping up to be an interesting year," he told the Vice Principal.

"Yes, professor Ozpin. Yes, it is."

He smiled and sipped his coffee again. "After all, it's only a matter of time."