thirty-eight. food for thought

Tired and hungry, Margo trudges to her favorite diner in the brisk evening. She is covered in fluids and scratches, but what really kills her is her back and the bruises she got from this morning's fight. She cannot wait to get home and just relax. But first, she needs food, and cooking for herself is not the thing to do tonight.

She presses into the diner, plastering a smile on her face as she waves to the man calling her name. "Hey, man," she grins as she gets up to the bar and takes a seat. "Can I have my usual to go but with another burger, extra pickles?"

"You got it, Margo. Sit, have some coffee. You look beat."

"Thanks, Dan." She gratefully takes the offered coffee and drinks, glancing around out of habit. With a frown, she watches as Marcus takes the seat next to her. "Hey."

"Hey." He looks upset, his eyes focused on his clasped hands.

"What are you doing here? I thought you hated it."

"Yeah." He shrugs and purses his lips. "But I also know you love it. Had enough date nights here to know where you go when you're tired."

Margo sighs and faces forward, sneaking looks at him. "So, again, what's up? I'm just grabbing some dinner. Like you probably expected." He does not reply. "Marcus, seriously. I know we're not together anymore, but—"

"Thank you."

She arches a brow as she chuckles. "Wow, took a lot to say that, didn't it?"

"Oh, shut up," he finally cracks a smile as he rolls his eyes. "But I mean it. Thank you. For stopping me earlier today. I don't think I would have stopped on my own."

Clenching her jaw, Margo pats his forearm. "I think you would have. If the whole family wasn't watching. But, look, you know what you're doing. Doesn't mean you don't get angry sometimes. These people broke into your home. I get it."

Marcus runs a hand down his face. "What's your assessment of them? I mean, you fought all of them."

"Well, Luther's a big guy. Means he can pack a punch but isn't too fast. Good match for Sloane or Jayme. Uh, the one with the knives who went after Christopher strikes me as emotional." Marcus chuckles as she nudges his side. "Probably better to have Alphonso or Fei for him. The girl with the voice should get Christopher. Could be a problem for someone with ears. You have the one with the cowboy hat who just says things, so maybe good for you. I mean, you wouldn't be fazed. Then the little one. He creeps me out, honestly. Fei would be a good match, same with Jayme."

"And Vanya?" Marcus asks. "The one who wiped you all out?"

Margo sighs and braces herself against the countertop. "She has a lot of power, but she doesn't know how to use it. Even she seemed surprised when it came out today. It's explosive, unpredictable."

"Do you think I'd win?"

"I think it's not the best match-up. You could, but you don't have the advantage. I think... I might be the best for Vanya, honestly. Most expendable, you know?" Her chest deflates as she takes a sip of her coffee. "Buy you guys enough time to figure something out."

Marcus shakes his head and turns to her. "You know you're not expendable, right?"

"Come on," she laughs. "Seriously. We all know it, Marcus. I'm not a Sparrow, nor do I want to be. We both know why Reginald let me join, and it wasn't Ben's excellent begging."

"Right, Ben."

"What about Ben?"

"Nothing. Just..." He meets her gaze before inching closer. "Why'd you say yes? When I asked you out?"

She frowns, pulling away for a second. "Because you are incredibly attractive?"

Marcus smirks. "Present tense?"

"Obviously." She cups his cheek with a smile. "You were my arm candy at work stuff. All the other techs would whisper behind our backs. I think Mindy cried when I told her we broke up."

Marcus leans into her hand, taking it in his gently. "You know, I asked Ben first. I hear you did too?"

"Ok, he wasn't supposed to tell you, but what did you expect?" She laughs. "He's my best friend. I didn't want to make him uncomfortable."

"You know he told me not to go for it."

Her smile fades a bit. "Really? He told me to say yes."

"Makes sense. At the end of the day, I'm his brother, and you are...not."

"Well, I'm definitely not his brother. That'd be so weird. Ew, Marcus, I can't even think about it." She scrunches up her face and pushes him away, both of them chuckling. "But seriously, why are you asking?"

"Because I know you know I care about you. A lot." He presses his lips together. "And as much as the rest of the family makes fun, they do too. You're not expendable, not to us."

"No, I'm just the secret," she replies. "I like my normal life. No one knows that I use my weekends to go out and fight crime. No one knows I can do what I do. I'm just Margo. Sometimes, I really wish that were enough."

"She'll see it one day," Marcus replies. "Soon."

"You obviously haven't seen her in a while." Margo runs a hand over her hair. "But thank you, I appreciate the lie."

"Well, I'm gonna go figure out what to do. Thanks for the advice." Marcus stands with a grown and kisses her cheek. "I'll see you around the house."

"Yeah, see you." Margo smiles as she watches him leave. She stares at the door for an extra few seconds before Dan places a bag of food in front of her. "Oh, thanks. How much?"

She quickly pays and walks out of the diner, enjoying the brisk air as she walks. As usual, she splits into three when she gets close, one duplicate keeping watch for any stupid paparazzi while she and the other get up the fire escape. Knocking on the frosted window, she waits until it opens. "Food's here."

Ben rolls his eyes as she slips in, willing her duplicates to disappear as he helps her down from his window. "You could use the front door like a normal person."

"Where's the fun in that? I'm starving, by the way, so if you don't start soon..." She holds out his burger with extra pickles.

He takes it gingerly and opens the package. "I thought you were mad?"

"I'm not mad," she scoffs. "Annoyed, yes, but I'm still gonna get you food, Birdie. Enjoy your extra pickles. Now eat and tell me what the plan is."

❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ 

I like how I've been able to show three different personalities for the same character. I hope it isn't confusing.

Quick note: with Netflix's new password-sharing policy, there's a large chance I won't finish drafting this story before I am kicked out of my account (I am a college student going out of state, so there's no chance I can get access back until I graduate in the spring). I'll let you know if that happens, but just be aware, there might have to be a break before I can continue publishing.

Hope you enjoyed!

-L