twelve. getting to her head

London 1830

Sitting alone in the brothel, she runs her eyes over the files spread around her, pages upon pages of notes staring up from the dirty wooden floor. Sounds echo through the walls that she elects to ignore. With a click of her tongue, she picks up a new file, squinting at the words before sighing and letting it drop back to the ground.

"You just need coffee," her partner says from his bed, his own notes laying next to him.

She purses her lips. "I do not need coffee. You need coffee."

Her partner drops the paper he holds. "Really? Wow, I thought better of you."

"Well, I don't see you helping." She runs a hand down her face. "The eye is really it?"

He digs into his pocket, a glass eyeball in his fingers as he holds it up to the artificial light. "It's all I've got."

She looks back at him. "You know we'll figure it out, right? We just need time, and lucky for us, the Commission gives us plenty."

"Except when we have to kill people," he replies. She sticks his tongue out. "So childlike, 21."

"It's 23 now," she says, turning her back towards him as she reaches for a far note. "My number went up."

"Two more? Impressive."

They fall into silence once again before he groans and stands from the bed. "I need a break." He hands her his note-ridden book, a pen sticking up from the middle. "I've done some of the equations, but I'm seeing double. Check them over, will you? I'll grab us some food."

She rolls her eyes, opening the book with a sigh. "Don't forget the hat. Victorians enjoy that."

He adjusts his suit and shakes his head. "How ghastly. A man forgetting his hat." He intentionally leaves it behind as he slips out of the room.

Looking down at the book, she runs her fingers along the words. "I'd love to meet you, Vanya," she mutters. "You seem more interesting than most of the people I kill."

Pausing in her movements, she bites her lips as she glances down at one of her notes. She picks it up, holding it up to the light before looking back at the book. "Why would he adopt you if you were normal?" She whispers with a chuckle. "Unless you're not."

A knock sounds at the door, and she freezes. As her hands glow purple, multiple hands grab every note, every book, and every piece of paper within five seconds. Pinning them together and shoving them in one of the pillows, she adjusts her worn corset before going to the door and opening it. "Oh," she says as the Handler walks in. "We weren't expecting you."

The woman looks around in disgust. "Well, I'm here now. Such an...interesting place you've settled in, darling."

Closing the door, she leans against it with her arms crossed. "It's cheap and inconspicuous. We thought it was a good place to lay low until we eliminate the target. He frequents here for a few of the girls."

The Handler wrinkles her nose. "Anyhoo, I have your next assignment."

She reaches forward with a confused look. "We haven't even finished this one."

"Oh, I know," The Handler replies. "This is a very special one, actually. I'd like you to scope it out before we send you both to the '60s."

"Sixties?" She takes the file and her eyes widen at the picture clipped to it. "JFK?" When she opens the file, a name stares back at her.

"Yes, well, he's bad for business," the Handler says. "but there is a complication. Reginald Hargreeves. Do you see why I need you to take care of this before your partner arrives?"

With a nod, she flips the folder closed. "Is he a target?"

"Oh, no. We need him to raise those adorable children. But, he is a complication. Deal with him before the parade, and everything will go swimmingly."

"Understood," she says. "When do I leave?"

"Now." The Handler holds out a duffle bag. "Here are some extra clothes and an address for housing."

"But we're in the middle of a job."

"Oh, don't worry." The Handler smiles as she drops the bag in her hands and smiles before gently patting the woman's cheek. "I'll let Five know you've gone on a special mission. He need not know what, but he can finish this job and meet you in Dallas. Don't you worry, 23. Everything will be fine. Off you go now."

The Handler holds out a briefcase.

She swallows roughly, holding a hand out. Grabbing her own bag from the corner of the room, she takes out a pen and paper, scribbling a note and placing it on the dresser. "So he doesn't worry," she says before taking the briefcase.

"Excellent. He will see you soon, 23."

The Handler smiles as she disappears in a flash of blue.

With a sigh, the woman plucks the paper from the table, opening it between her nails.

I've gone on mission. We'll discuss details later. Will get in touch when I get settled.

With a scoff, she tucks the note in her dress. Refusing to sit down, she simply waits until the door opens, an old man entering with some food in his hands.

"You won't believe how difficult it was—" He pauses when he sees her. "Hello."

"Five. Wonderful," the Handler says. "I've been waiting for such a long time."

His eyes dart around the room. "What do you want?"

"Just to tell you that 23 left." She grins. "She was recruited to a delicate mission, so you will have to finish this one on your own, then meet her in Dallas 1963."

With a frown, he takes her outstretched folder. "JFK?" He asks.

"Yes, pesky president." She places a hand on his shoulder. "She's sorry she had to go, but, it seemed to me like she was almost happy to leave." She takes a look around with a curled lip. "I mean, who wouldn't."

"Anything else?" He asks with annoyance dripping in his voice.

She shakes her head. "But it's good that she's going on a solo mission," the Handler says as she approaches the door. "She told me before she was itching to go off on her own."

He frowns, watching her carefully.

"I probably shouldn't tell you this, as her partner, but her performance review was lacking." The Handler chuckles to herself. "We almost assigned her somewhere else because of the issues—"

"What issues?" He asks.

She waves her hand. "I really shouldn't say, but I think the time travel is getting to her head. Being at the Commission and doing missions for so long. It's bound to take an effect, right?" She grins as she shakes her head. "Well, I should get going. Enjoy your mission, Five."

He watches her leave, waiting a good few minutes before emptying the pillowcases around the room. He finds the hidden folders and his book tucked inside with a sigh. As long as he has his notes, he'll be fine. The same can't be said about his partner. 

X X X X 

Starting off season 2 with a flashback! A lot of the next season will be split between a few POVs, so I hope it won't be too confusing!

Hope you enjoyed!

-L