thirteen. more of an uncle

Margo screams as she tumbles onto the concrete, pain radiating through her body for a split second before she feels nothing at all. With the groaning next to her, she sits up and promptly looks over at Klaus, who lies flat on his back, and Ben who has a large smile on his face.

"That was..." Klaus shuts his eyes tightly and holds his elbows close to him.

"Exhilarating." Ben sits up and looks over at Margo.

She narrows her eyes as she gets to her feet. "I'm dead, so why the fuck did I feel that much pain?" Before either can answer, she looks around with a frown. "Where's Five?"

The other two get up, looking up and down the lonely alley they landed in. It only takes them a moment to look back and see a giant sparking portal in the sky. "Five!" Klaus yells, waving his hands. "Diego! Allison!" The portal collapses on itself. "Where is everybody?"

Cursing to herself, Margo looks out at the other end of the alley, squinting at the passing cars. "57' Corvette?" She mutters, walking away from the brothers.

"Oh, they're gone," Klaus laments as Margo steps out to the mouth of the alley, her hands on her hips. "They're gone, like a fart in the wind. Poof! It's just us again. Great." As he passes her, he walks right through her, eliciting a sharp gasp. "So, where the hell are we?"

"That was the weirdest feeling I've ever experienced, and I've been stabbed in the back," Margo says as she turns to follow the brothers.

"Are hats back?" Klaus asks, oblivious to Margo or Ben.

"Honestly, I think the question is when," Margo says as Ben stares at a baby carriage. When she sees the diner across the street, a large Whites Only sign hanging inside, she growls under her breath. "And I think I know when."

Klaus rushes forward into the street, saying, "Excuse me. Sorry, sorry to bother you." The poor man he stops stares at him with wide eyes. "Could you tell me what year this is or what day?" The man quickly walks off. "Rude."

Ben walks past both Margo and Klaus towards an almost overflowing trashcan. "Guys, get over here."

Margo ignores the order as Klaus walks over. "Yeah?"

"Look."

"Yeah, I mean, he's pretty my type, but I'd have to see him from the shoulders down—"

"The date, you idiot," Ben says as Klaus squints at the magazine.

"Oh, yeah."

"Boys," Margo calls over her shoulder. "I think we're in the '60s."

Klaus looks back at her, waving the magazine. "February 11, 1960. Shit."

"What are we gonna do?" Margo asks. "I mean, Ben and I are dead, so we don't matter. But you, Klaus..." She shakes her head and looks down at the rainbow shirt and the cut leggings. "They'll eat you up for lunch and shit you out by dinner."

Klaus waves his finger in the air. "I'd like to see them try." He and Ben begin making their way towards the diner across the street as Margo shouts after them. He barges into the establishment with a wide grin, leaving the ghosts outside. "I'd like a plate of eggs, toast, and all of the bacon you can spare. I'm a member of the royal family, and you will serve me!"

"He's an idiot," Margo says with a shake of her head, leaning against the building with Ben in front of her. "He's going to get himself killed one day."

"Yeah, I'm almost excited to see what happens," Ben admits, settling next to her so he can stare into the restaurant. "But this place gives me the creeps."

After a moment of silence, Margo says, "I hope Allison doesn't end up here. Best case scenario is landing closer to your present. Then again, we'd probably never see her again if that's the case."

"Shit, Allison," Ben whispers to himself. "That won't be good."

"Diego would probably be ok. People these days are more concerned with a communist invasion," Margo replies. "But they're strong. Don't worry about them." She glances into the diner with a roll of her eyes. "I'd be more concerned with him right now."

Klaus grins as he gobbles up the food in front of him.

Ben shakes his head before he looks back at her. "So you came with us."

She shrugs. "Why not? If I didn't, I'd be stuck in the present with no one to watch but a young Five finding your bodies. This was guaranteed to be more fun."

"And you and Five?" Ben arches a brow.

"Yeah, what about it?"

"Well, you seemed cozy," he says. "Intimate." She begins to laugh at his expression, pointing a finger in his face as she tries not to double over. "What did I say?"

"That's disgusting!" Margo chuckles as she tries to take deep breaths. "If I had to characterize whatever relationship we had before he killed me, it wouldn't be like that. He's more of an uncle. But, ew!"

"Sorry, sorry!" Ben laughs, holding up his hands in surrender.

"As if!" Margo exclaims. "That man has the emotional maturity of a teenager. Every decision he makes is based on his emotional instability. Everyone in your family acts like that. It's ridiculous."

Nodding along, he says, "So you have powers. Like us."

"I guess I do," she replies. "Does it matter? It's not like we exist without Klaus anyway."

"So you just multiply?"

"I was learning more before I died." She looks out to the street with a frown. "It takes a lot out of me to do that many. That's where I got my number, actually. 23 copies."

"Twenty-six now, right?" He grins.

"Oh, shut up," she chuckles. "I think our ghost whisperer is about to be thrown out."

Klaus flies through the door, food spewing from his mouth. "Don't come back till you can pay your damn bill!" The manager shouts.

Klaus spits out the food before looking forward, straight at white shoes. "Chanel," he mutters.

"Good eye," Margo replies as the old woman in front of him bends down.

"Oh, you poor thing," she says. "Let me help you up."

Taking her hand, Klaus' eyes snag onto the large diamond ring around her glove. "Oh! Oh! Thank you." Klaus smirks as he wraps himself around her arm.

"I'll take care of you," the woman says with a smile.

"Seriously, Klaus?" Ben asks as they follow the hoard of old people with Klaus leading them.

Margo shrugs, dragging Ben along much like the woman does with Klaus. "Well, I knew this wouldn't be boring."

X X X X

Sort of a boring chapter but yeah--hope you enjoyed!

-L