Livin' On a Prayer (GiyuShino)

OC Universe!

MANGA SPOILERS!

hidden love trope!

nostalgia!Giyu x angelic!Shinobu

Slowly becoming desperate as he kills demon after demon, he finds that himself alive once more after finding the love of his life, only to lose her just as fast as he found her, receiving encouragement from those who passed...

---

His eyes narrowed on the demon in front of him. However, unlike the others before him, who were so quickly slaughtered and knelt before him in submission, this one seemed to have a more challenging time grasping the concept of mercy.

Again, his eyes drifted to the bodies lying on the side of the road, having bled out before he reached the designated spot. Guilt wracked his body as he darted forward, snapping his sword so that it swung through the demon's neck without a second thought.

But these creatures deserved more. They deserved to be tortured.

Killed.

Murdered for all that they did.

They took away Sabito from him.

They took his sister.

On her wedding day.

Rage filled his senses as the demon's body thudded to the ground. Again, he raised his sword and stabbed the demon, as it let out a pitiful cry that almost made him waver in his movements. Nonetheless, he continued forward, strike after strike, until a small, soft hand grasped his wrist.

She was clearly already weak in her attempt to stop him. her hand quivered under his weight, and he stared at her for so long that she had to drop his wrist in reluctance. He turned back to the demon, but the ash had already disappeared.

He had been stabbing nothing.

He broke.

Was he imagining it?

Was he slowly going crazy?

Her wisteria-colored eyes looked back at him with worry, the usual banter receding silently back into her lips. Her forehead creased with the slight hesitation of putting her hand to his cheek, afraid he would flinch or snap at her.

Instead, he welcomed it.

He gently kissed the palm of her hand as she smiled gently, while she tucked a strand of his raven-black hair behind his ear. Everything seemed calmer to him now that she was here.

And he stared at her, before getting up again, picking her up into his arms, only for her to yell in protest.

"I can walk, Tomioka-san!"

"But you are slow."

"I-I am not!" she grew red at his blatant statement, and he chuckled, despite his eyes being colored red from holding back tears. But she looked back up at him in worry as he didn't reply.

"Tomioka."

He didn't look at her, afraid he might break again.

"Tomioka," she said, this time more insistently.

Again, he ignored her, praying she wouldn't call out his name again.

Please don't let me break, Shinobu.

"Giyu," her voice turned soft, and she touched her hand to his cheek, gently urging him to look at her.

"Yes?" he croaked out, his voice hoarse from holding everything in.