Chapter 5

-Klaus' POV-

Book after book after book. It is just what Elena has said. There is no information that can help undo this or a way to work around the heat. The books are just as she had stated, in the perfect order with just the amount of information she had given.

She really has been reading all of this.

Is she not resting?

Why do you even care?

Of course she's mentally exhausted, she just killed someone, just to then turn into a hybrid right after. Of course having no time to process everything that's going on is mentally exhausting her.

I have to stop giving her access to the books, give her time to focus on controlling her emotions.

I'll take over the headache for her for now...

"You look restless." ...and there goes the mysterious brother mysteriously appearing in the room. "Busy?" He has two glasses of blood, one raised in my direction. I know he intends to talk about something now. This is his passive attempt in telling me to sit down and speak.

I reach out for the drink and gesture for him to sit across from me. "It's this whole fated pair thing. I don't know how it'll work and..."

"I was under the impression that you would manage just fine, being an ancient hybrid and all."

The person I said that to... "You've been talking to Elena." Of course he has, what other Mikaelson does she trust the most if not our honest and loyal brother Elijah?

He hums and drinks from the glass, eyeing me cautiously, just as Elena has been doing whenever I see her; they try to read my mind... "She just has easier access to the journals and finding information if she's in contact with me. She's gonna be around as long as we are, it works better if I become friends with her now as well, no?" That's certainly one way to go about it.

"What do you think of her?"

Elijah hums, raising a brow. "Of Elena?" I nod, urging him to speak. "The girl, she's sure been through a lot. She's a strong one. Her brother- she barely hears from him- she's all alone. It's surprising someone like her hasn't snapped yet." Elijah eyes me, as if holding back what he wanted to say before he said it. "Especially what our family has put us through, after all our mother turned her into an original for her fun little games, our sister has been tormenting her over the young Salvatore- and you- you have done more than enough."

Strong? Elena?

"Don't doubt her too much. That girl- even while being the furthest thing from a human- she's kept her humanity intact in ways not even a newly turned vampire has." He chuckles to himself and finishes his glass abruptly. Conversation's over. "It took her this long to finally kill someone- accidentally kill someone. That should say enough."

She's too human...

"Don't look too annoyed about it. Maybe her humanity is the one thing that will make her actually move on from what you've done to her." Elijah pats my shoulder and takes my cup from my hands. "She's coming here to look at some other journals. Just a heads up." He closes the door, not really interested in talking to me much further.

Did she not say she'd stay away? Why is she coming back?

She's so... so...

I'll go and get some fresh air, maybe avoid her for the time she's here as well. I simply do not get it, she just seems to not be able to get away from me. I grab the journals and walk out of the room.

I don't get why it bothers me so much. She's not coming here to see me, she's coming to talk to Elijah. Why does it irritate me this much just knowing she'd be around me? Isn't it supposed to be the opposite, maybe this soul connection is a farce and we're freaking out about something that's not gonna happen, right?