35. Decisions

The drawbridge settled to rest

The drawbridge settled to rest. The party scurried down the walls and across the bridge as if thirty wights nipped at their heels. The gathered archers and men-at-arms noticed. Grim-faced, armored individuals raced to bar the path, spears lowered and swords bared. Their eyes strayed more to the castle walls than the four ragtag individuals that fled.

A horseman in chain mail called, "Who are you, then?"

Ghomarck panted, "King Pharing's folk. Friends."

"Where'd them black men go?"

"It's—" The wizard's brow furrowed. "—a long story."

All within hearing stared at the graybeard.

Ghomarck said, "Where is—"

Séa wrestled her helm off and squinted past the row of soldiers. Her eyes flew wide. "Bayrump! Hey, little girl!"

A heavy horse nickered and cantered near. A blaze whitened the mare's forehead, and she shared the paladin's boisterous physical energy. Joy transported the knight through the line of doubting warriors and the mare met her halfway. They bumped foreheads and Séa stroked the mare's muscular neck.

The wizard tried again. "Is the King here? He is in danger. This is the princess Chantelle of Mevia."

The dirty young woman picked up the ragged hem of her skirts and curtsied.

"What? But—" said the horseman. He swiveled his head and yelled, "Sir Fawk! Dame Frullan!"

"Feck," Tash muttered. "Them? Seriously?"

But it was true. The glittery pair shouldered through the ranks. Sir Fawk clapped a hand on the flank of the horseman's mount. "What have we, here, Yerrick?"

"Séa?" Amazement overpowered distaste in Frullan's blurted word.

The horseman pointed an unsteady finger at Chantelle. "Look. A second princess. Maybe. Doesn't look like her, though. And this old guy says the King is in danger."

"Oh, I definitely look like the princess!" Chantelle gave the horseman the stink eye, then appraised the pair of knights. After their physical glory made itself manifest, a speculative expression narrowed her eyes.

The various soldiers, male and female, shuffled into a rough circle that contained the King's knights and the four escapees. Bayrump the heavy mare maneuvered at will, casually unstoppable. She lipped Tash's ear and gave a low nicker. The rogue started. A shocked expression passed over her features before a shy smile wiped away the shock. She pressed the side of her head into the warm curve of the charger's neck.

Séa planted metal-covered fists on her hips and faced Fawk and Frullan. "It's all true. The Chantelle that showed up before isn't even remotely human. He's a shapeshifter. A demon. So, where is he – she – now? And I hope you don't say 'with the King.'"