6. No good at goodbyes

Bakugo had to carry me home on his back. He threw his blazer over my back so no one would see the blood on me.

When we got to my house, mother was not home. Bakugo set me on the counter by the sink. He took my shirt off me like a doll. Wetting a wash rag with warm water and began to try and wash the blood off my shoulder and back.

I just banished my best friend. And it's not like he can come back when he's calmed down. I'd have to summon him again. But if I summon him back and he isn't calm.

I tilted my head to look to the side at my second best friend. Katsuki Bakugo. You're strong...but you wouldn't be strong enough if he still wants you dead. I let my head drop to my chest and I sobbed. If I let Beetlejuice kill Katsuki. I'll never forgive myself and I'd never be able to trust Beetlejuice again. I'd be losing both of my best friends. At least this way I can keep one of you beside me.

The next time Bakugo came close enough I hugged him tightly. "I promise to protect you."

Katsuki buried his head into the space between my shoulder and my neck. His arms wrapped around me tightly. "I'm sorry."

I shook my head. "No. This way I can keep one of you safe." I pulled away from the hug and gave a weak watery smile. "I'll be okay" I lied through my teeth.

Mother came home an hour later to me and Katsuki curled up on the couch. As soon as the adrenaline left him he crashed. I was not so lucky. For the first time I was cursing my curse. Can't die! Can't sleep! I can't even feel pain! How else am I expected to torture myself!!

I got up from the couch after mother kissed my cheek. She left for the kitchen and I left for the bathtub. I filled it with hot water until it had steamed the mirrors. Then I sank.

I floated in the water and for a moment I could imagine myself in the water. Like I was having an out of body experience.

The long black hair like oil. My school uniform skirt and socks, darkened by the water. My white shirt with blood on the sleeve turning the water pink while it clung to my skin like a transparent veil.

I imagined I looked like that one painting of the lady in the river. 'Ophelia' painted by Sir John Everett Millais in 1951-52.

I squeezed my nose and eyes shut. I went underwater and held my breathe as long as I could. When I couldn't hold my breath any longer I opened my mouth and sucked in. I forced my body to breath the water like it was air until my lungs were completely flooded. It was painful. I tried to think of every book I've ever read to find something to compare it to. But not everything feels like something else.

🪲

The next time I opened my eyes I was cold like ice. I expected to still be in the water. But I was laying on the bath mat beside the bath. I rolled over and began to throw up the water in my stomach and cough it up from my lungs.

"You'll be okay! What a fucking joke!" Bakugo slammed his arms onto my shoulders and stood up on his knees and pressed down on me, forcing me onto my back. "Next time don't fucking lie to me! If your gonna lie! Tell it to someone who doesn't fucking care!!" He snarled his words in anger as tears dribbled down his lips onto my cheek.

I tried to blink back the tears but they were so much stronger than my pride. I sniffled pitifully and clenched my hands into fists. "I'm not okay. And I don't think I will be for a while. I'm sorry."

Bakugo only became angrier. He lifted my by my shoulders and slammed me back onto the ground. I felt my head bounce off the tile floor. "Don't fucking apologize! Just! Arrrrggghhh!! Just...next time tell me...I don't want you to wake up alone." He pulled me into a bone crushing hug. "One of these times you won't come back."

"I know."

Bakugo shoved me away. "Stupid undead fucker, you took a bath and your not even clean! Your mother is making dinner and I'm staying the night. Take a shower. And I'm not fucking leaving till your done." He turned around and sat facing the door to give me a little privacy.

I smiled at his back. At least I still have one friend.

During dinner Katsuki never brought up what happened in the bathroom. And I was thankful. Mother doesn't need that kind of worry. The trouble started when she asked where Beetlejuice was. I missed the steak I was stabbing and the knife stabbed threw my hand. "Sorry." I pulled the knife out and put my hand under the table.

Katsuki cursed before taking the knife and placing it away from me and cutting my steak for me. I was lucky he didn't take my fork too and start feeding me.

After dinner Katsuki set himself up in my room and I offered him the bed. "I don't sleep. I'll read or something. I promise not to do anything tonight."

"Tch like I'd trust that after dinner." I looked down ashamed at my hand that he had bandaged. "Get your book and get in the bed."

I did as told like a scolded child. When I got under the covers Katsuki wrapped his arms around my waist tightly. I didn't even have the energy to blush. "If you leave in the middle of the night I'll kill you myself."

"Okay."

I got comfortable and opened my book while Katsuki got comfortable as well and drifted off to sleep.

Bakugo stayed with us the whole weekend and never left my side. We walked together to school on Monday.

Walking into the classroom my eyes were caught on Midoriya. I still wanted to be his friend. But Bakugo is sticking to me like glue. And I'd rather not bring trouble to the poor boy.

I listened to my classmates talk and talk and couldn't manage a smile at all. The class was dull like always. I knew all the answers so all my teachers made moves to ask me questions and trip me up. Even when the questions were unrelated to the subject taught. Our history teacher asked me a math question that could make a kids head swim and I solved it like nothing.