Chapter 1

Papers were piling on top of each other - receipts, bills, etc., books and ledgers scattered everywhere, but Hunter couldn't care less. He is busy looking at his computer's monitor, trying to make sense of all the financial data he has gathered. He's into agriculture, not accounting. He is growing crops and raising cattle for business, but he needs to sort out his financial records as soon as possible, especially now that his business is growing exponentially for the past two years.

Hunter Adams is the youngest son of the wealthiest rancher in the region. In his teens, he's been considered a rogue by his two elder brothers - Cody and Sam. Some call him a hellraiser. He has been into fights and had his share of brushes with the law. The Adams clan is known throughout the region for their wealth, stature, blue eyes, and raggedly handsome looks. Women swarm Hunter wherever he goes, and he is more than happy to oblige. He is often compared to his more reponsible elder brothers, but he doesn't seem to care what others think of him. Everything changed, though, when his mother died. Black sheep as he is, Hunter is closest to his mother, probably because he is the youngest. After her death, he has grown quiet. The good thing though, is that he developed a liking in his studies. He got into college and took up agriculture.

He could've worked in his father's business, but he chose to venture on his own, starting from the bottom, using the money he has saved while he worked part-time in his father's ranch during his years in college. He bought his own parcel of land, used what he learned as an agriculture graduate, raised his own herds of cattle and planted his choice crops. He's been through ups and downs in his business, but learning from his father's work ethics, he never gave up. Now, his efforts are starting to pay off. Business is doing good, too good that he needs more help than he would like to admit. Aside from his ranchers and farmers, he has Mrs. Boon as his secretary and Edwin as his messenger, both are from around town whom he has known for a long time, but neither can do accounting. So, a couple of months ago, he posted an ad for an accountant and an accounting staff. Unfortunately, no one has shown interest in applying. Hunter is already frustrated with all the paper works that needs to be done. On top of that, his presence is needed at the farm...

"Good news!" Mrs. Boon blurted out as she suddenly swung Hunter's office door open. She blushed as she realized her over-excitement. "Oh, sorry, Hunter, for barging in. I'm just happy to announce that we now have an applicant for accountant."

"Oh, good. Finally!" Hunter can't help but sigh in relief. He thought he's going to be stuck at his office for a long time as they wait for new employees. "Have you looked at her credentials, Mrs. Boon?"

"Yeah. Based on her records, she's quite smart, highly recommended by her professors, single... She didn't include any picture, though, so I don't know what she looks like. But, we have a problem about her experience," muttered Mrs. Boon as she was perusing the applicant's documents.

Hunter rolled his eyes. "Oh, great. Is she one of those who hops from one company to the next?" He knows those kind of people. They can't stay in a company even for a year. They have no sense of commitment. When things get tough, they just leave and move on to the next company. He dislike those kind of people.

"No, not really. She has no experience at all." Mrs. Boon grimly stated. "I specifically stated in the ad that for the accountant, applicants must have at least a year experience. Guess she didn't read that part. Oh well, let's just wait for another applicant."

"Wait, Mrs. Boon..." Hunter stopped her as she was about to leave the office. "I can't wait for another applicant. These papers need to be sorted," he gestured at the various types of paper sprawled at his table and in the filing cabinets. "You said she has good scholastic records and is highly recommended. Well, call her and set an interview. I'll interview her myself."