Chapter 3

Hunter is feeling impatient, he is itching to go out to the barn and check on one of his mare, Shadow. He was told Shadow is already in labor. It's fifteen minutes before one o'clock in the afternoon and he is expecting the interviewee to arrive any minute now, assuming she gets here on time. Here, being the ground floor of Hunter's house. When he bought the house a year ago, he thought of demolishing it altogether to build an office building. That was about the same time he and Cody, one of his older brother, had a fight. Hunter stormed out of his father's house and stayed at his newly bought and soon to be demolished house. After a few days, Hunter started to like the homey feel of the house's interior, so he decided against demolishing it. He still needs an office, though, so instructed the contractor to convert the entire ground floor of the house into an office, complete with a waiting area, his office - a spacious one, and a space for his secretary, Mrs. Boon.

A soft knock on the door. "Yeah, come in." Hunter called out. This must be the applicant. He checked his watch, five minutes before one o'clock. Right on time. The door creaked open, in stepped a woman... or girl, as Hunter studies her. She looks like a high school girl in her senior year. A bit petite, 5'5" probably, slender, and has a very fair complexion, almost luminous. She's got long, sandy hair tied in a ponytail. 'This must not be the woman applying for an accountant position,' Hunter thought. He can't quite figure the color of her eyes, they seem to be green, though. She has a feminine and slightly upturned nose, and full lips that perfectly matched her delicate facial features.

"Er, good afternoon, Mr. Adams. My name is Selena Rey. I have an appointment for an interview and your secretary directed me to your office. I was told you're going to do the interview today. I'm glad to meet you, sir." Selena wasn't sure if she entered the correct room. When the cab driver dropped her off in front of this mansion earlier, Selena thought the driver had made a mistake. She isn't standing at the entrance of an office building, she is actually facing a mansion. But the driver insisted that this is where Mr. Hunter Adam's office is. Obviously, almost everybody around here know this man. Having no choice, Selena proceeded to knock at the door, using the brass door knocker shaped like the head of a lion. When a woman answered the door, Selena introduced herself. The woman happened to be the secretary that she talked to on the phone last week, Mrs. Boon. She seemed friendly, too. She told Selena that Mr. Adams himself is doing the interview. Mrs. Boon then ushered her directly to Mr. Adams' office, as he is already waiting for her.

Now, standing in front of Mr. Adams, it took all her willpower to hide her surprise when she realized that he wasn't the old, lasso-slinging cowboy that she imagined him to be. Instead, the man standing by his office window, now facing her, is a handsome man. From what she could see, he looks like he is in his late twenties, but she couldn't be sure, the light stubble on his chin makes him look somewhat older. His strong-looking jaw makes him look dangerous. And his eyes... those eyes! They were dark and piercing. She averted her eyes, she can't stand his gaze for some reason. He is wearing a shirt that does nothing in hiding his chiseled chest, and blue jeans. Selena can't help but be self conscious. The man is openly studying her, is it normal for prospective employers to do that? What struck Selena as odd, though, is the surprise look the man had when she introduced herself. Was he expecting someone else and was disappointed that it was her who came?

'So she's the accountant?' Hunter thought to himself when the woman introduced herself. By what he has read about her profile, she's twenty three, but she looks too young and too innocent for her age. He can even sense her discomfort when he looks at her.

"Oh, sorry, sit down, Miss Rey." Hunter offered as he gestured for her to sit down. "Call me Hunter. So, you're twenty-three? Quite young for an accountant, with no experience to speak of." Hunter looks at her while speaking. He has studied the woman's profile for a while now. A while ago, he decided he'd wait for another applicant with more experience, but this woman's working experience or lack thereof doesn't seem to matter now. Hunter had grown curious of this child-like woman.

"Yes, sir. My only experience was my internship, but I'm a fast learner, and I'm willing to work hard. I'll make sure I will be able to help your company, sir."

Selena's mind is like a vacuum - void of anything. She can't seem to think about all the answers she practiced a couple of days ago. 'What's wrong with me? Dang it! This man's gaze is making me nervous. I feel like a hot mess right now.' Selena felt that coming into this office is such a huge mistake. She can't help but feel an ominous foreboding, like she's about to do something she will regret later on.

"So, can you start tomorrow?" Hunter can clearly see the blank stare this Selena Rey gave her. She might not have expected to be hired this easily.

"I... err, pardon, sir?" Selena must not have heard him right. Is he hiring her right away? Just like that?

"I asked if it's possible for you to start tomorrow. You see, Miss Rey, I am a very busy man. I don't have time to take care of my company's books, and I don't have time to spare in waiting for another applicant. So, you heard it right. I am hiring you now, that is, if you still want the job." Hunter stated.

"Y-yes. I want it... I mean, I want the job. Thank you very much, sir. But, um... I still have to settle everything. I have to get my stuff and find a place to stay here. Can you give me maybe a couple of days to get settled, sir?" Selena can't believe at how fast everything happened. One minute she is staring at the mansion's facade, now she's being asked to work tomorrow. A few minutes ago she was jobless, now she is hired as an accountant. Everything is too good to be true!

"That's not a problem. I have plenty of rooms upstairs. It's not that easy to find a place to rent here, so you can stay here in the meantime. You have the entire day tomorrow to gather and bring your stuff here. Mrs. Boon will give you the key to your room. And oh, before I forget, regarding your compensation, I have arranged that with Mrs. Boon, if you're not satisfied, just let me know. We might be able to negotiate something. All right then, you can direct your questions to Mrs. Boon. I have an important matter to attend to." Hunter extended his hand for a shake, which she took. "Welcome to the company." was all he said as he hurriedly let Selena's hand go. He stood and walked out of the door, leaving Selena alone and speechless.

'What, what just happened?' Selena was bewildered. Did her employer just told her to live in his house while she look for a place of her own? Did she just agree? Selena's world seemed to spin out of control in the fifteen minutes that he talked to that stranger, who has now became her boss, apparently. Everything happened in what seemed like a blink of an eye. 'Oh dear, what have I gotten myself into?'

She was in that blank state when Mrs. Boon entered Hunter's office. The elder woman has been informed about Selena's arrangement. She can't help but be amused at what Hunter just did. Her boss is a very smart man, impulsive, but smart. He never does anything without a reason. 'Things are about to get every interesting around here,' Mrs. Boon thought in amusement, as she led the lovely accountant outside Hunter's office to sign some documents.