Chapter 1: Confrontation

Author's Note:

I am not a native Spanish speaker so if I get anything wrong please tell me. anyway, hope you enjoy :3

*

The Sandrias house had a warm atmosphere that embraced you each time you entered. It wasn’t as enormous or interactive as Casita, but it was bright and welcoming. Even though the family’s eager wait for their own house to finish, this was easily the ideal temporary home. For Isabela, the mere sight of the house formed a lump of guilt in her throat, she remembered the daughter of Romona Sandrias, Maya. Another beautiful friendship Isabela squandered to keep her “señorita perfecta” persona afloat. She had not spoken to the girl in years since their late teens, side glances were their form of communication and secretly they both hated it. She remembered how genuine Maya’s smiles were, how she seemed to always live in a dream, those times when they would dance through the garden of her bedroom. She made Isabela feel free in a way that was foreign to her, and Maya made it a point to break her out of that mold. Like always, Isabela became distant and showed the worst sides of herself, breaking her own heart along with Maya’s.

After a long day of repairing their magical house, the Madrigals joined the Sandrias for dinner. Isabela sat in between her two sisters and faced the girl she was avoiding.

“Señora Sandrias, we cannot begin to thank you enough for allowing us to stay in your house.” Abuela Alma opened the discussion in the same sweet tone she reserved for all the Encanto. Though Alma started to ease up on the demands, Isabela still felt her back force itself to straighten, and the tension build up in her shoulders. The expectation of perfection still lingered above her like one of Pepa’s heavy clouds, stifling her every move.

Her attention blurred as old memories flooded back, the unforgiving fear of never being able to rekindle the bond with the woman in front of her. She still looked like the dignified and confident senorita she was. Isabela felt like she was in a panic room, any wrong word or move and things may just crash down.

“I like your new look, Isa.”

Maya spoke for the first time in a neutral tone, it jerked Isabela’s focus back to present. The lightness in the girl’s expression took her by surprise, thoughts jumbled around in her head as her mouth hurried to find a way to respond. She looked down at her greyish blue dress with the bright color brushed away along with the faded green hue in her hair. Experiencing the same freedom her hermanita allowed her to feel that was followed by an excruciating sense of embarrassment.

“Thanks, you look great too.”

What a boring answer, it was true, she did look beautiful as always. The desire to spill out apologies was never this strong. Her pride always got in the way of taking accountability, but what was the point now? Losing pride was nothing compared to losing the magic that defined her for so long, or nearly losing her family. That was easier said than done of course.

As the family disbursed, Isabela made her way to the bedroom along with her sisters until a simple request made her blood run cold momentarily.

“Can we talk?”

She turned around to find those familiar hazel eyes gazing into hers. Time stood still for a few moments, Isabela’s instinct was to be defensive and figure out a way to avoid it but even she was tired of the thorns she hid behind. She followed Maya to the corner of the hallway, watching out for anyone that was destined to pass by.

“I just wanna say I’m proud of you.”

Her distanced friend initiated, Isabela could tell she didn’t know what to say and frankly, neither did she. Insistently gulping down her ego and forcing herself to speak how she wanted, she responded.

“Thank you.”
Maya’s expression shifted to curiosity, even after these years she could still read Isabela like a book. It irritated her so much, but she felt heard and cared for.

“What is it?”
Isabela subconsciously stopped herself from playing with her hair, a habit her abuela often scolded her for. One thing she couldn’t control was her body slouching slightly, making herself look smaller and vulnerable.

Why was she so scared? If Alma of all people could apologize, so could she. Taking a deep breath, she confessed.

“I know this is so long overdue, but... I’m sorry for how I treated you back then. I was stuck in this “perfect” box, I closed everyone out and acted terribly. It wasn’t fair to you.”
She looked away from her, fearing the bitter rejection she felt deserving of.

The girl studied her posture, figuring out exactly how to respond. Maya placed a soft hand on her shoulder.

“I’ve forgiven you a long time ago. You did hurt me... A lot. But we were stupid teenagers then.” She consoled as Isabela looked back into her eyes unsure of how to feel.

“I know but I knew what I was doing. I wanted to be close to you but- I just couldn’t.”

“You never told me why.”

Maya affirmed, her voice trailing off allowing them both to take in the heartache. Isabela took a quick glance at her, unsure of what to say. She was gradually gaining her autonomy. Her thoughts, actions, and words were hers. That façade could finally be tore down, leaving her vulnerable and hyperaware to how she broke many relationships, familal and otherwise.

“I know..”

Isabela shifted her feet slightly, leaving many words unsaid. Another habit to break. An unsettling silence filled the hall as the yellow light above them was cut off. Instinctively, she started to walk back to her room until she was stopped once again.

“We should hang out, like we used to.”

Maya considered, her voice still holding a soft tone making Isabela smile in reassurance. They shared a silent agreement as they departed.

Her nerves dissipated, walking in the bedroom to see Luisa sleeping and Mirabel staring at her with a huge smile on her face.

“What?”
She snapped, instantly regretting how sour she must have sounded. Her hermanita didn’t seem to notice it though, wrapping herself in the blankets of the bed.

“You made up with Maya, didn’t you?”

The eldest sister crossed her arms, iritated by Mirabel’s tendency to get in her sisters’ business. She’s just curious she remembered.

“Yes, why?”

She questioned, raising an eyebrow before opening their closet for her night gown.

“I am so happy for you!”
Mirabel cheered a bit loud, making Isabela put a finger over her mouth to shush her.

“Thanks, it’s really not that big of a deal.”

It was a big deal that Maya even took the time to talk to her, she couldn’t hide her excitement.

“Uh, yeah it is. You used to talk all the time and then.. What even happened between you?”

Her hermanita pryed to know the details of exactly how they fell apart, she responded with a mildly irritated sigh.

“Mirabel, we have to go back to work on Casita in the morning. Goodnight.”

Her youngest sister rolled over, unamused with the answers she wasn’t given. Isabela slipped on her night gown and crawled into bed reminiscing about the times with her now housemate. She stared at the designed celling, desperately wishing those ever lovely moments back. It might have been wishful thinking but if she got them back, maybe it would be different. Better and different. No restraints, no hiding, no secrets or walls, just the two of them and nothing else. She closed her eyes and drifted off.