Chapter 6: Turned Tables

The next day... 

Maya was a smart girl, but she wasn't immune to making painful errors. 

"I can't risk getting hurt by you again." 

Her own words were laced with venom she never imagined herself releasing. Recalling her cold tone, followed by the woman of her dreams spewing blood and flowers filled her soul with guilt and heartache. That statement made it seem like Isabela was the cause of the most anguish in Maya's life when that was far from the truth. 

Yes, Isabela did hurt her in the past, but did she really deserve this torment? 

Of course not 

She failed to see what was right in front of her, the opportunity to truly start over. Maybe she never forgave her completely. 

Now the girl who was supposed to mean the world to her was dying at her hands. 

She felt like a monster, a monster with too much pride. 

As her family and the Madrigals made their way back, Maya wandered into the same patch of grass that her and Isabela danced. Sitting down to feel the blades of grass brush through her fingers, she felt her heart sink deeper in her chest. 

No matter how much Isabela hurt her, it didn't mean Maya wanted to do the same to her. It already felt like the girl was slipping further away from her each day and now she couldn't risk hurting her more by confronting her. 

There were too many things Maya didn't want to risk. 

She remembered twirling Isabela around as the warm wind howled around them, how free and passionate both were. The twinkle in the woman's-tired eyes was one that Maya hated to see fade out. 

Her heart weighed heavier as she recalled hearing Julieta crying and Agustín trying to comfort her, the strange silence that haunted the house for the rest of the day and lingered into the morning. How tense her own muscles were and how she never uttered a word about what happened with Isabela 

  It was like she had died, and Maya killed her. 

A soft, approaching voice snapped her from her thoughts, 

"Hey... Maya?" 

She turned around to see a familiar young girl with green glasses and a flower crown banded in her curly hair. 

"Hey Mira, did you come to hang out with me?" 

Maya smiled softly. 

"Yeah, kinda. I forgot to give you this-" 

The girl reached into her mochila and pulled out a crown made from twigs, leaves, and bright blue flowers. 

She handed it to Maya, who looked at it admirably. Luisa and Mirabel had gone out to collect things to make flower crowns with Isabela the night prior. Her smile quickly faded as the lump in her throat returned, if anyone didn't deserve a handmade gift, it was her. 

Isabela made this for her, even after she broke her. 

Mirabel noticed this change in expression and commented, 

"Do you not like it? Isa thought-" 

"No, it's not that. I love it. Tell her I said gracias." 

Maya quickly cut her off, hesitantly placing the crown on her head.