Chapter 21. Respect

Esme's pov
As he drove towards the gate, I watched as the bodyguards at the gate nodded their heads in respect. When the big gate opened, it revealed many men scattered around the edges of the house. "More body guards?" I asked curiously.

He nodded and parked the car in the driveway of the big house. "Yes. It's the main mafia house, which means it needs to be protected. Just like a beehive" he stated as he turned off the car. I hummed in acknowledgement.

He got out the car and walked around to open the car door. He lend his hand to help out to car which I gratefully took. As I got out the car, I felt eyes turn to me like a magnet.

What's going on? I feel uncomfortable. It's like they've never seen a woman before? Is there no females in this mafia?

"Keep close to me" he said, wrapping him arm around my waist; pulling me closer to him. I nodded. The men around the edges of the house nodded their head as we walked "good to see you, Don" some of the men said.

As we walked up the steps of the house, their eyes were following us like a predator eying it's prey. When we made it to the living room of the house, there was women and men scattered everywhere.

They all look so bad ass. Most of the men have tattoos and scars. The girls are very pretty. So these men have seen women before. So why are they looking at me like I'm rare?!

Why am I kinda insecure? I feel like I don't belong...I don't belong here. Im a stripper not a thug..You chose to come so stop complaining already. I reminded myself.

I heard Lorenzo's voice snap everyone's gaze. "This is Esme Nova. While she's here, you'll all treat her with the same respect as you do me. You are to protect her as if she's apart of our family. Understood?" He said with a fierce tone but a calm face.

Everyone's voice came together in harmony "Yes, Don"

He really has control over them. They're like mindless dogs. Except for the girls of course.

Lorenzo tilted his head down to whisper in my ear "I gotta take care of some stuff with Matteo and the others. Will you be okay by yourself"

I hesitated before answering. No I wasn't going to be okay by myself. There were eyes watching me everywhere I turn. "Yes I'll be okay, go do what you have to do" I smiled up at him.

He looked at me for a second "Unique. Guard, Emse" his voice snapped. I looked at him with confusion. "Yes, Don" the girl said.

I looked over to see who was talking. It was a brown skinned female. She looked around my age but older. She had long black hair and almond, brown eyes.

Damn.. I'm jealous, look at her body. She works out!

"Emse, this is Unique Freeman. She's our best female assassin and fighter. She's feisty but loyal, she'll guard you while I'm gone" he explained.

She rolled her eyes at him but smiled at me. I laughed lowly, covering my mouth. "Okay now go away" i shooed him. He sighed, walking away.

"It's a pleasure to meet you Unique. Thank god there's females here. I thought it was going to be a man cave!" I sighed.

"Hell no! There's a good population of females in this mafia. But they mainly specialize in medicine so that's why some aren't here. But the girls that are here right now are like me, we specialize in combat and assassination" she explained.

"Ohhh that makes more sense" I nodded in agreement. I peeped the tattoo on her upper arm. It was masks. One laughing and one frowning. Above the tattoo it read 'sorridi ora piangi più tardi'
(Translation: smile now cry later)

"Nice tattoo. What does it represent?" I asked curiously.

 What does it represent?" I asked curiously

(Smaller than this ^)

"Oh this tattoo is symbolic of our Mafia 'The Delinquents' The smiling one means revenge and mischief. The sad one means sorrows for the members we've lost. Everyone in the mafia has this tattoo. Some have it on different parts of their body."

"I'm learning something new everyday." I said sarcastically, laughing to myself. I looked around and realized everyone was still looking at me, while whispering to each other. I started to feel shy and nervous.

I guess Unique caught on to that, because she changed the topic. "Do you want me to show you around the house?" She chirped, happily. I nodded "sure" Wanting to get away from this situation as fast as possible.

She showed me everywhere from the library to the kitchen, bathrooms, and rooms where the mafia members sleep. Come to find out, there's another house in the backyard. Only for the rest of the mafia to sleep. She even showed me the garden in the backyard along with a huge pool.

After a while, I felt exhausted from all the walking "Omg you guys have it all! It's like a maze. I already forget everything. I was having a hard time navigating Lorenzo's otherhouse to begin with. Now this?" I sighed, sitting down on the swings in the garden.

Unique sat down in the swing next to mine. "Yeah. So..if you don't mind me asking, what's the relationship between you and our Don?" She asked, looking me in the eye.

I shrugged "I don't know. I think we like each other but there's no label on our relationship. We've only been on one date so far" I said, slightly blushing.

I looked down trying to hide my rosy face as the memories from last night came rushing back. She obviously saw my face because she began to laugh "well I think you guys look good together. Everyone was talking about you like crazy when they saw you"

"Yea about that, why were people looking at me as if they never saw a girl before. When I first arrived here, it gave me the impression that there was no women in the Mafia. But there is, so I'm a bit puzzled" i furrowed my brows waiting for an answer.

She laughed at me "that's not the reason why they were eying you. Our Don is considered a cold man. It was a surprise to all of us that he brought a woman to the Main Mafia house. Especially since he was holding you so close like it was his duty to protect you" she explained.

I looked down at the ground "oh that makes more sense now. Lorenzo was a bitch when I first met him but now he's...better" I paused before saying the last word.

She stood up from the swings "anyways I still haven't shown you the Movie theater and the Training room. That's if your still intrigued" She smiled.

I smiled back and got up, following her back to the mansion as she led me through the garden.