14 | RETRIBUTION

||SAXON||

I believe I was going crazy. And it was all Niki's fault. Starting with that cake. He'd definitely have known that it was my doing at first bite but still opened his damned mouth to ask. Luckily he didn't pursue it. I was already mortified enough. Then there was the fact that he'd asked me to stay behind to keep him company.

Didn't he hate me anymore? I wasn't too sure. Niki was rather confusing as it was already. Then the fact that he fucking complimented me. It made me feel really warm. He'd probably already forgotten but back then when we were closer and much younger, he practiced my lines a lot with me and isolation wasn't just something he practiced.

However, the more it looked like our differences were being reconciled and our relationship was taking a turn for the better, the more I felt that it was only a matter of time before things returned to how they were. Or that it'd even be worse off than how it once was. And I really didn't want to see that happening to us.

From practicing my script ever since Niki left on his supposed 'meeting', I had fallen into a daze on how long his resolve not to malign me would last. I only came out of it when my phone started ringing on the centerpiece.

I frowned just glancing at it. I'd normally never pick up strange numbers with the amount of scammers or advertisers I had to deal with. Something was pushing me to pick it though. So, I did.

"Hey, Saxon?" The voice was low and familiar. "I think Nigel might need your help."

"Alfie?" I asked. "Aren't you guys together?"

He snorted. "I'm grounded," He informed. "Anyway, I could barely make head or tail of whatever he was saying and I can't even leave the house so could you get him back or something?"

"Sure," I agreed, getting to my feet to retrieve my keys. "Where is he?"

"The new bar along The Sixteenth," He divulged.

"Sure, I'll get him," I thanked him as I rushed out to my car parked in the garage. I was more than just worried for my twin. I was barely able to fathom what he went through every time he recalled anything relating to the events from that year.

The bar wasn't in that remote of a location and even Nigel wasn't in that hidden of a seating so I wasted no time in catching up to his side at all, noticing he seemed to be in an altercation with the bartender. I sent the man an apologetic look before turning to face my twin squarely.

How did he get in anyway? Sure, he was more on the mature side but didn't they have to pull out an ID or something like that?

"Axxie," He beamed, watery eyes magnifying his grievances by no little bit. "You came to get me." He suddenly turned around to childishly stick his tongue out at the sour-faced bartender. "See, I said someone was going to come help me. My brother still loves me."

"Help?" My forehead creased as I turned to the bartender so he could elaborate.

"He hasn't paid," The man's teeth were grinding so hard it was on the verge of turning into powder.

"Don't you have any cash on you?" I frowned down at Niki who was hugging my arm without a care in the world. Not earning a response, I went through his wallet with my free hand and didn't catch even a coin in there. Why did he come without cash to a club? Did he want to get beaten up or what?

The bartender had already started berating him all over again.

Niki huffed before looking up at me with pleading eyes. "Won't you pay for me, please?" He whined. "Aren't you my sweet, extremely doting twin? Surely you won't leave me in the lurch, right?"