IV

04 // SCREAMING MURDER

"We are not watching The Lion King again." Harrison stated to his younger siblings as they sat on the couch.

"We voted and I'm almost one hundred and ten percent sure that two overrules one." Delilah's twin brother, Elliot, replied.

"Well I'm older so I have twice the votes." Harrison crossed his arms over his chest and smiled triumphantly.

"That' doesn't work on us anymore." Delilah and Elliot stated simultaneously. "Besides, Dad said that you have to keep us happy." Delilah pointed out, crossing her arms over her chest. "Please, Harrison? This is the only time I actually get to be a regular ten-year-old and not training."

"We're watching The Lion King." Elliot said as he got up from the couch and put the VHS into the VCR.

Harrison huffed and sat in the recliner next to the black couch. "You don't even like this movie." He said to his younger brother as he took a seat next to Delilah.

"But Delilah does." Elliot looked at the older brunette boy. "It was either this or Mulan." He pointed out.

"I'm naming my daughter Mulan." Delilah said with a smile, looking at her brothers.

"You've told us. Multiple times." Elliot pointed out with an eye roll.

Delilah was about to respond when her parents rushed through the front door, slamming it shut behind them. "We have to get out of here." Dexter told his children as Holly ran up the stairs.

"What's going on?" Harrison asked as Dexter kneeled down in front of his daughter. "Is it Hydra?"

Dexter nodded as he looked at Delilah. "Listen sweetheart, there are some bad people after us. If I tell you to scream, you need to do it."

"But Mom said—"

"It doesn't matter what Mom said." Dexter cut the strawberry blonde off, looking her in the eyes. "You do as I say, are we clear?" Delilah nodded her head quickly. "Good. If anything happens to me, just know that I love you more than anything." He looked at his two sons. "All of you." Dexter kissed his daughters forehead.

Dexter was about to stand up when there were gunshots outside. "It looks like they found us." He grabbed his youngest children and tucked each of them under his arms as he ducked. Someone shot the window in living room, making the glass shatter and more bullets come through. Dexter ran the best he could hunched over while trying to protect the twins and making sure Harrison was behind him.

"Holly, we have to go!" Dexter called up the stairs. "Go out to the garage. If someone is out there that you don't know, scream." He told Delilah. "Don't even think about hesitating." The father sighed, knowing this would most likely be the last time he would see his children, at least in this life. He pulled three envelopes out of his jacket and handed each one to the designated child. "Don't open these until you're safe. Phil should be here soon." He rushed out, trying to say everything he wanted in the limited amount of time he had.

"Why does this feel like a goodbye?" Delilah questioned, tears running down her cheeks.

Dexter gave Delilah a sad smile. "It's not a goodbye, baby. I'll see you again one day."

Someone kicked the red front door down, revealing men that resembled a S.W.A.T. team. "Give it up, Dexter. We found you. Now it's time to hand over the kids so no one gets hurt."

Dexter looked at his oldest son, nodding at him. "You'll never lay a hand on my children if I have anything to do with it." He said to the man as Harrison pushed his siblings down the hall.