005 | 𝙋𝙀𝙊𝙋𝙇𝙀 𝙒𝙃𝙊 𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙉𝙂𝙀..

.- -. --- - .... . .-.
.. -- -- ..- -. .
..--..

📻 — CHAPTER FIVE

📻 — CHAPTER FIVE ..
' people who change '

March 1988,   Rondônia, Brazil

          IT'S BEEN A LITTLE LESS than a year since Joaquim Fontes Vargas took his wife's name and left São Paulo for the cold, but charming Denmark. Diana Larsen's inheritance and prestige in law, their young love and similar thirst for life, all played a part in how a business trip and purely coincidental meeting had swiftly taken the young accountant away from his barely blossoming job and into a life dedicated to family. 

Their first child was on the way when they've decided to quench their thirst for travel with another visit in Brazil, a place close to their soul. 

Three months into the pregnancy and Diana has already built the habit of resting her hands into her lap just to be a little closer to who she hoped with every fiber of her being would turn out to be a girl. She's always wanted a girl, perhaps out of the dreamy wish of being a better mother than the one she had herself, or rather for the selfish reason of giving her daughter all she personally always wished she had in her seldomly colorful childhood. 

Joaquim often voiced he wanted a boy, but deep down, he knew he was just happy to be a father, to love his child as tremendously as his own old man had. Most of his mannerism and antics sprung from the humble home of the Fontes a whole community loved the jokes of; Joaquim could abide any new social rules and hide in any posh attire, but at the heart, he was a simple man and that was exactly why Diana loved him. 

A rented Volkswagen Beetle from '67 bounced on an unpaved road going through the State of Rondônia. It's been with them since Porto Velho, where they flew at the recommendation of a São Paulo boasting days on end he knew someone who could give them the best tour within the Amazonian forest.

The news of new construction plans demanding mass deforestation in these sides of Brazil had a global uproar, so the sensation of 'now or never' has compelled the couple to extend their trip by three days in order to appreciate the miracle of the planet while it was still there. 

Temperatures were hardly at their all time high for the Equatorial climate, but a lukewarm summer in the sprout of spring was still far more than a Danish woman could handle for an extended drive, be it without the roof of the car on. 

Wind was blowing, but they weren't going fast enough through the holes on the road to actually feel anything else but the lack of trees on the side or the lack of a friendly cloud. Humidity clogged Diana's nose and hence, her handkerchief was almost an extension of her right hand.