006 | 𝙃𝙐𝙈𝘼𝙉 𝙑𝙎 𝘼𝙉𝙄𝙈𝘼𝙇..

... . .--. .- .-. .- - .
- .... .
-.. .- -- -.
--. . -. --- -- .
.- -. -..
... - --- .--.
.-- .. - ....
..- .-.
- .... . --- .-. .. . ...

📻 — CHAPTER SIX

📻 — CHAPTER SIX ..
' human vs animal '

          "ABSOLUTELY NOT," MARIA barked in the face of her husband. 

Since their separation, it seemed the younger Miller found himself the hope he's truly been looking for all along, getting married and making a life for himself in a small but tightly knit community in Wyoming. "You tell him to go find somebody else," her raspy voice came with all the thorns the beautiful rose of marriage usually brought with itself; it was the loud concern that covered the whole facility past the power plant entrance, hence also making the entirety of the conversation no secret to Joel, instructed to wait a little further away for the verdict. 

"Maria," Tommy tried to whisper  the best he could, "I can't have this hanging over my head."

"Do you have any idea how many men we lost here today?" she snapped back at him in return, still carrying the adrenaline rush of a gunfight pumping her blood with tension. 

After Joel and Ellie arrived, not long after they repaired the power plant to start producing electricity at least for the next week, bandits came in too, guns blazing and aiming to raid all they could, hijack their little hard-worked miracle of light. The whole valley was littered with bodies because of a handful of bastards who saw light as an invitation to lay waste of everything in their path. Moths to a flame, if the flame could get hurt too. 

"What's that all about?" Ellie asked from beside Joel, finally making him look up at her with the sort of look she had trouble deciphering. Was he upset? Was he angry? The line between those two emotions often seemed to be non-existent, making the two coincide in a moment where looking at Tommy, someone supposed to help them on their way, get a lecture was close to bone chilling.

Though Ellie's tone was thin and vulnerable, Joel dismissed with a grunt, planning to just look away, back at his brother and a conversation that now turned to a full blown argument. 

"Does that have anything to do with me?" Ellie inquired, forcing Joel to look at her again. 

It was the first time Joel cursed Wendy for ever having crossed paths with them, because had it not been for her, perhaps Ellie would have learnt to keep her mouth shut already and quit asking questions that couldn't have an easy answer. Annoyance and worry forged Joel into the worst he could be at that time, speaking over the girl with a tired tone, "We'll talk about it later."