CHAPTER 40

"You are going to stay with us young lady, whether you like it or not!" Dad commanded.
"Dad, I am old enough to make my own decisions. Plus, I got what I came for."
"Which is?" Mom asked.
"To know who commanded to kill me that night." I answered directly.
"Who?" Both of them asked.
I scoffed.
"It doesn't matter anymore. I will be leaving the country in 3 months. Can't you just be happy for me?" I paused. "Let us all just live our lives. Just forget about me, will you?"

"If that's what you want." dad responded. Somehow my heart was relieved.
"But with one condition." he added.
Gosh I thought that one of my problem would be solved. But, it could just get worse.

"Which is?" I asked numbly.
"The three of us will go on a vacation for 3 months. After that, we will allow you to do whatever you want."
"One."
"Two" my mother interrupted.
"One, that's not negotiable."
"Very well. Begin packing your bags. Aalis tayo bukas ng gabi. Ako na ang bahala sa plane ticket mo...anak." Dad said. Anak? I somewhat missed him saying that to me. But, i should not. Not now...nor ever.

It's the afternoon before our departure. Mapapatanong ka nalang talaga kung tama nga ba yung mga desisyon mo sa buhay. Walang makakasagot nun kundi ang aking self. Packing clothes,  staring at a picture I had in my purse,  a picture of me and dad on the day of my graduation, the day that I everything began to change. I changed, from being my father's daughter to being a daughter who is numb towards my father. I start to feel that something is not right. Something that should not happen but is going to. 

Either way, kahit na meron man, naghihintay na sa akin si mum sa baba. I glanced at the framed picture of myself on my side table. My younger self, smiling with dimples showing. I pan away and pulled out the handle of my luggage, out the door and went downstairs. 

I saw my mother staring at a framed picture of my father that is on top of the fireplace. A portrait of him in a suit. Ano kaya ang magiging buhay ko ngayon kung kasama ko kayong lumaki? Gabi-gabi ko ba kayang mararamdaman ang halik ng isang ina? Masaya ba kaya tayong nagtatawanan habang kumakain sa hapagkainan? Yayakapin ba ninyo ako ng mahigpit kapag patakbo akong umiiyak patungo sa inyong silid dulot ng isang nakakatakot na panaginip? Maipagmamalaki ko ba kaya na ang aking mga magulang ay sina Irene Marcos at Jessie Elizalde? 

All of these thoughts vanished as my mother turned. With a smile she walked toward me. 

"Make sure that did not forget anything."

I simply nodded. 

"I do not forget. It's not in my blood. Let's just go."

We went outside and I placed my luggage at the back. 

"Sit at the front seat, Rina." Without a choice I obeyed. 

About 30 minutes, we reached the airport. I saw my father at the entrance. He saw us as we proceed to enter. They were talking while I look around. Nothing much to see just people, stalls of souvenirs,  flight attendants departing and arriving at gates, and staff. These were all I saw before I felt a sharp pain through my stomach and chest. Following this, ringing dwell.

I looked down. Blood bled through my beige-colored top. The pain caused me to kneel down. I want to move but I can't, my eyes focused in front, people staring, clamoring. After a few seconds, I saw my mother. Worried eyes, can't understand what she's saying though. But I read her lips, "Rina, hold on." was all I understood. 

In that moment, that was the "something wrong" I was thinking about earlier. I smiled. Instead of just my dimples showing up, blood came out my mouth. This was it, the endless nights of having seen my fate before my eyes, reality shows. I fell sideways, coughing in my own blood, still can't hear what's happening. 

At that moment, I saw my father, I was I laying on his lap. A tear escaped. Again, he saw me like this. I tried to focus on what he is saying. The words "ambulance" and "coming" came out. At that moment, I knew I would not make it out again. 

"I have not been a good daughter, have I?" with all strength I can find in myself, I tried to talk. No response was done, but a drop of tear run down my father's face. "I wished to fulfill your request, but it seems that I cannot." I said with a cough with blood coming out my mouth. I can feel the pain from my stomach now, painfully excruciating. 

My mother held my hand, sobbing.  I tilted my head to look at her.

"Lo siento, mama." 

Everything blacked out after that. Black as the night. 

(Irene's POV)

My daughter died that night. In front of me, my heart shattered into a thousand pieces more than the first time. This time, I am certain that I will not see her again. I am certain that she in the one in the urn. 

Jessie asked me if I want to clean Rina's room with him. My heart opposes that idea but my mind says that I should go, and so I did. As I open the door of Rina's room, Jessie is sitting on the floor, as usual, drinking whiskey. It's just like the first time, but this time, it feels as though the pain multiplied a hundred times more. I closed the door and sat on her bed, I can still smell her perfume, sweet and fruity. 

There were no words uttered from both our mouths, silence filled up the room. I believe that Jessie did not touch anything since all her things are intact. I opened the drawer beside her table, found a letter. I opened it, it was not addressed to anyone in particular. 

"If anyone finds this letter, if I am not wrong, I am probably not by your side anymore. Things are not going according to what I planned. I came here for revenge and to prove to people who Jasmine Elizalde is, but I believe that I leave without fulfilling any of these plans. My killer then you ask if I know? It is the father of my former rival back in my high school days.  Shocked? Other than that, please pass on a message for me. Tell mother that I am sorry, deeply. For my father, tell him that I tried my best to make him proud of me and that I loved him, with all my heart. I hope you will deliver my message to them."

Tears and sobs filled the room, clearing out all the silence. Following these sobs, shouts of longing and anger escaped. We were suppose to go on a vacation, mababawi ko na dapat ang puso ng anak ko. Paghagulgol, pagsigaw, at pinagbababato ko lahat ng mga nakikita at nahahawakan ko. My daughter, shot to death. 

Arms are wrapped around me. 

"Tama na. Wala na taong magagawa."

"How could you tell me that? We can never see our daughter again, do you not realize that? My daughter is dead!" I shouted as I fall on the floor. Jessie is hugging me tight. Tragic events are the only times he is close to me like this, hugging and comforting me. The way he held me made me remember all the memories we made with each other, the letters, the places we went to and the promises I made with him. It reminded me of the night where I hugged him tightly in Spain, the night that blood bled through his stitches. I remember not sleeping because I thought of the worse that could happen. So I stayed up all night, crying silently while holding his hands as I stare at him, peacefully sleeping. 

"I dreamt of what my life would be if I were with you too, my Irene." Jessie said our of the blue. 

"Lo siento, mi amor."