↳ Interview #5: _prequel

Award Winner: _prequel

"I, Veronica Gates" -- won third place (tie) in the Humor/Teen Fic category of the Savant Awards (SGA) in May 2022.

Interviewer: devianmisfit

1) Introduce yourself! Tell me how long you've been on WP, and what made you interested to be a WP writer/start writing here?

_prequel: Hi, I'm  I've been on Wattpad for about three years now. This app has been my absolute favorite since my early teens, I just loved all of the fanfictions I found here lol. Then the COVID-19 pandemic started, and everything went on lockdown. I got bored, and tired of everything around, so I started writing "I, Veronica Gates." There was this thrill in creating people that didn't exist, and having them experience adventures in a COVID free world. So, basically, I started because of boredom lol.

2) You participated in the Savant Awards in May 2022 and the book you entered "I, Veronica Gates", won third place in Humor/Teen Fic genre. How did you feel about it when you heard the announcement? Was this your first time winning?

_prequel: Hearing the news... I was excited! For a moment, I kind of forgot I even participated, so it's fulfilling to know I won, even if it's just third place. And it's actually my second time, so yeah! I'm excited!

3) What are your views about participating in these events generally? Did you enjoy them?

_prequel: Entering contests and awards is actually very helpful for a writer's growth. This way, you compete with your writing and others also. Then from score cards, and reviews from judges, you can see your faults and strengths and that way, you can improve. And this event helped do that, so, I did enjoy it.

4) Was there any particular reason for participating in TSG? What was one thing you enjoyed the most while participating in TSG? Or one thing you disliked?

_prequel: I entered the savant girls awards because I wanted to know if my writing was good enough. I had second thoughts and struggles, so I wanted to see if it'll be able to thrive amongst other great writing. Also, I liked how easy the "filling forms & rules" process was, it wasn't all over the place and it was just... convenient. And the prizes too, eek!

5) How was your experience in when writing "I, Veronica Gates"? Was it an easy process? Which parts did you struggle with the most?

_prequel: I loved and still love writing I, Veronica Gates. It wasn't exactly easy. It's the first book I've written on Wattpad, and at the time, I was a little rusty lol. Currently, I've written the entire book three times. I struggled with my characters' voices. the kind of people I wanted them to be, their back stories even if they were just side characters... I tend to lose sight of what that character has gone through, and end up giving them the wrong lines and emotions.

6) How do you feel about your current book?

_prequel: My current book actually impresses me. I'm glad I've gotten better with designing my characters and glad i have gotten better at portraying their emotions across the screen

7) How do you usually go about writing a chapter in your book?

_prequel: I listen to music. I created a playlist for the book, and that's what I listen to before I get down to my laptop. The lyrics help inspire me on how the characters feel, and what they'd likely say in certain situations while playing scenes in my head.

8) Would you call yourself a Pantser, Plotter or a Plantser? (If you're not clear what they mean basically a Pantser is a writer who wings it, while a Plotter plots out the details, and a Plantser is both)

_prequel: I am definitely a plotter! I don't think I've ever winged anything in my entire life lol. Doing something without actually writing down every little detail about every single thing will mess with my anxiety. I like to be prepared for anything, plan from the beginning to the end, so I won't get stuck or confused or panic about the slightest inconvenience.

9) What are some advice you have to help other fellow writers out here?

_prequel: My advice... write something you enjoy. I believe in writing something because it's you, it's your voice, because it's what you want to share with other people. Once you start writing a story, because it has a part of you in it, you'd have no troubles, chapters and lines, and the characters will come to you like the wind. And you'd keep on writing 'cause the plot and characters are already a part of it. So, make sure you write something that speaks you, something you love. And definitely study about the world you're writing about. Learn about the setting you're putting your characters in. And also, get a grammar book. It'd help your writing become more beautiful. Final! if you know this is how you want your story to go, don't let people discourage that. You have started something beautiful and you should continue writing, no matter what. I hope these help. :)

10) Are you comfortable with us posting the interview responses and questions

_prequel: yes, I am

(interview ends)