CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR - ACCALIA

Upon meeting Avanish at his house, after my rescue from Solom, I had witnessed the hatred Avanish holds for Bali. At the time, I was confused as to why. Since, I've learned Bali's actions weren't criminal when he aided my parents and other mix-breeds. Avanish had said if a purebred were to help a mix-breed or their parents escape justice these days, it would warrant banishment. Is it why his face contorted when Bali spoke? A punishment he is waiting to bestow on Bali. Bali just needs to give him a reason, any reason.

The pressure on Avanish's shoulders to destroy me is thickening the air, as thick as Chandresh's hatred of me, when he first stalked my dreams. Breathing is near impossible. The shaking uncontrollable.

When the purebred Dragonnians flew here in fear they may hurt their brother Chandresh for protecting me, a storm of aggressive pressure rolled in with them and bore down on the Wishing Hill. Now that they were called lesser beings, the storm seems closer to being unleashed, the hisses and gasps at the audacity of the angels is thunderous. The expressions on their dragon faces potent with fierce desires to show them what lesser beings are capable of.

Avanish breaks the tension, casting every eye upon him, "Prophecies should be adhered to, they reveal a way to reconnect peace to the worlds and dimensions, they tell us how we may stop all wars. Accalia's prophecy, however, is not the only one bringing the promise of peace and Law. I cannot have such an atrocity among us, dividing Pleiadian from Pleiadian and Dragonnian from us."

"Father," Chandresh gasps.

Bali is about to speak, but Avanish's glare shuts him down, so Chetan says, "Don't, Avanish."

Avanish holds up a glowing hand to stop the discontent. He swirls his heels to face his son.

"No, father," Chandresh challenges.

Once upon a time, I wondered if Chandresh was strong enough to save me from them. It seems today, I will have the answer.

Would Avanish hurt his son to catch me?

Avanish reaches his hand for me, but Chandresh smacks it away. "I said no, father."

"Son, you do not make the Laws ... move."

"No, father."

Everyone watches in anticipation between father and son.

"I will move you myself, son, as much as it would pain me." Avanish waits patiently while Chandresh's adrenaline fully brings back to life his markings. Shifting to a brighter emerald down his arms and under his t-shirt, across his back and shoulder blades. His chest puffs out to challenge his father. The purebred Dragonnians in the blue sky ready themselves and their magic to defend their brother.

To watch my Night Monster fight his own father for me ...

"No," I say, then I step from behind Chandresh. "I won't let you fight your father."

Gasps come from them. Surprised words, "A mix-breed abomination can show conscience, sacrifice itself for someone else." For Chandresh, I would sacrifice myself.

They've judged me blindly without knowing me. Assumed I was evil because of who I was born as, not from my actions. Ruled to die simply for existing. Using my coming to the Wishing Hill, above the clouds, without an escort as the excuse. I sensed this from those who came here with Mathias. The angels who disagree with his logic, however, remain quiet, allowing Avanish's forced decision.

Avanish easily pulls me from Chandresh, bringing me to his side. Chandresh is speechless. I tell him I can't allow anyone to die.

"Salia," Chandresh calls from behind me and his father. Avanish leads me to the other side of the hilltop. Chandresh follows, his heart breaking farther. "Salia, please."

When Nicholas first brought me to the Wishing Hill, I glimpsed a rundown cabin. The only darkness in so much light. This is where Avanish leads me, while I try to ignore Chandresh's pleas, "You're worth everything to me; I can't lose you."

The cabin is wooden, presumably centuries old. Rot crumbles and warps part of the roof and sides. The windows are cracked. There is a frame but no door. Dark gloom sits within the cabin's walls, despair itself. I focus on this, instead of on Chandresh.

They follow in the sky, pearly radiance reflecting off the rainbow flowers. The purebred Dragonnians follow Chandresh with watchful eyes in case a diversion is needed. If the cabin is to be my punishment, I'll throw myself inside to stop any fighting.

We reach the open doorway, Avanish's pearly radiance brightening the cabin's dark mouth. He squeezes my arm tighter, pulling me to face him. "Father," Chandresh pleads, before falling silent.

"Accalia Gerheart," Avanish begins with apologetic eyes to his son for Mathias forcing his hand, "your crime is setting foot on the Wishing Hill without an escort, punishable by banishment. Desa will be your home for eternity."

Before Avanish throws me into the cabin – Chandresh charges his father – while pushing me aside.

From sheer reaction, not knowing who it was, Avanish shoves Chandresh, and the three of us fall down from the impact. I land in the rainbow Wishing Flowers outside the cabin. Avanish falls in the doorway, holding fast to the panel. The darkness inside the cabin swallows Chandresh.

Avanish realizes it was his son and hollers for him, reaching – but it's too late. My Night Monster was accidentally pushed into the fourth dimension known as Desa – a forgetful place of eternal unrest.