Seven| Reyna and Axel

Reyna

I unlocked the door and walked into the room. I glanced at Axel who was just still the same place I left him, on the bed, tied up with a duct tape over his mouth. Right away, I locked the door after myself then walked over to him. I left the polythene bag on the bedside table and sat on the bed. For what felt like more than a minute, I stared at him and his gaze didn’t deviate from me either. It was obvious he loathed my guts. Well, I couldn’t blame him. If I were him, I would’ve felt the same way.

I reached into the polythene bag and took out a disinfectant, cotton wool and plasters that I’d gotten in the nearest pharmacy. There’s no denying that he should’ve seen a doctor, I mean he was in a car that went against the laws of gravity for a second. But, I’d assessed him while he was unconscious and there didn’t seem to be any broken bones, just a few physical cuts. It makes me wonder how lucky he must be. 

I poured some of the disinfectant onto the cotton wool and dabbed over the cut on the side of his head. He muffled a wince and his brows furrowed together. I ignored his reactions and continued with dressing his wounds. Only after I was done did I take the tape off his mouth. He glared at me but said nothing. That wasn’t what I was expecting.

A quiet sigh left my lips. “I’m being nice to you. It won’t kill you to do the same.” Instead of as little as a word of reply, he looked away from me. Patiently, I waited in all hopes that he would eventually say something but nothing came through and I lost the cool I’d somehow mustered up.

“You know, nothing is going to change because you’re silent.” I stormed up on my feet. “I’m not giving up. You’ll talk, one way or another, you’ll say what I need to hear.” Yet, he wouldn’t look my side. I could feel the irritation swirling inside me. Only God knows if I still had enough time to spare, with every second, my mind wanders what she could be going through. Time was imminent and Mr. Hotshot here prefers to keep his words to himself. My gaze drifted away from him and I was reminded of the horrors of the night, especially the moment the man pointed the gun at Axel. There, a devious thought of manipulating him to speak popped up in my head.

In a steady sweep, I returned my gaze to him. “Okay, for minute, let’s forget I brought you here and tied you up… Have you thought about who might’ve wanted you dead?”

It worked because he fixated his view on me once more. “I’ve always had enemies here or there. This isn’t my first murder attempt.” His words came out rather undisturbed and much confident than I’d anticipated. It made me doubt my idea. 

“Rather than worry about me, you should worry about yourself. While you stepped out, I spent the time thinking of several ways to kill you and how I could dispose of your body. Of course, you’re not my first but… with you and the hospitality you’ve shown me, it just has to be special. No traces afterwards.” In the end, he had a simple smile. Still, together with the look in his eyes, it held a sinister appearance. I walked closer to the bed, leaned towards him and whispered a reply.

“I can’t wait.” Before he could think of saying anything more, I taped over his mouth once again. He didn’t struggle or muffle a few words. He simply looked away. As I turned away from him, I couldn’t help but wonder if I was backing up the wrong tree. Could it be Axel knew nothing of his employer’s escapades? Perhaps, Mordecai hid mum away without even Axel’s knowledge?

I rolled my lips in for a moment. If I could get my hands on any type of evidence that proves I’m not lying, then that would be great. There is no time anymore. I have to get it from Mordecai, one way or another.

The next day, the reflection in the mirror that stared back at me was a sham. But, it was the good kind. The type that would help me achieve my goal. Over my hair was a brown bob-cut wig and my eyes, large white framed glasses. Cream coloured palazzo trouser and white saffron top with black low-heels were my attire. Since I can no longer walk into the building without the security recognizing and kicking me out instantly, I had to disguise. Hopefully, this will work.