Chapter 4: Mission on road

Tim entered the address on the gps. I watched his every move, wanting to memorize all the steps to start a car. He didn't seem to notice. All the better. We –well, I mean Tim– started driving to the place. First following the path out of the Slenderman's controlled part of the forest. In a way I found trips in the car at night cozy. They weirdly make me feel nostalgic. I cracked the joints in my hands, my neck, even my spine. Any pop in my joints I find satisfying. It has become a habit of mine.

''When can I finally drive?''

''Never.''

''Elaborate.''

''Where did you learn a fancy word like that?'' Tim teased

''I learned it f-from you– Wait, don't change the topic! Besides, it's not that fancy.'' I rolled with my eyes

''I don't think you're in a state to learn how to drive.''

''W-What can I do differently for that to change?''

''Don't use your reverse psychology on me.''

''Don't ignore my question.''

Masky snapped his head to the left to give me a death stare. It was a warning. I had to stop talking. Or at least stop talking for now. Most of the time I let him cool down before I continue. Because I'm never done with the conversation. I always get cut off, ignored or just verbally bashed. It was silent for a few minutes. My mind was too occupied for it to be silent though. I wanted to turn on the radio but Masky swatted my hand.

''What the hell.''

''No radio.''

''Boring.'' I mumbled

I wasn't in the mood for silence though.

''Why is Kagekao allowed to drive? I'm p-pretty sure he doesn't have a driver's license. He's a demon or something.''

''Kagekao is an adult that knows how to drive. Besides, he likes stealing more than driving.''

''Still I should be allowed to–''

''Stop it Toby.''

''But stealing a car is really r-risky, it could have a some sort of chip that will reveal the car's location.''

I didn't know that for sure, but did always fear it. Imagine stealing something or kidnapping someone and their location can be tracked down because of a small chip.

''Most cars don't have that. I hope you know even if they did have something like that, in this part of the forest the Slenderman's static interferes with the signal.''

''Oh.''

''The main thing you have to worry about is the license plate of the car and the VIN.''

''Vin..?''

''Vehicle identification number.''

''Never heard of that.''

''Well now you have.''

Wait actually– I just realized I can be tracked down at any time because of my Proxy mark. All the Proxies have that symbol forever scarred into their body. It's not a burn mark, the Slenderman has a special way to leave that scar. He always knows where you are, he's always watching. Creepy, also handy (maybe).

''Is our Proxy mark our vin?'' I randomly asked, thinking out loud

Tim burst out laughing. The last thing I expected was to hear him laugh tonight. He probably thought what I said was dumb. Perhaps he realized it was true and he's going even more insane. Deep down I'd like to think he found it funny. It made me blush a bit.