two

The shower's water ran hot against Elena's skin but she didn't care. She was muttering to herself trying to remember anything, her right hand clutching her left wrist which had a black tattoo of a skull printed on the inside of it. She had no idea where that came from, just like the rest of her life. If anyone saw her now, they will think she has gone out of her mind. Maybe she already had; maybe that's why she can't remember anything. 

Elena felt utterly helpless. She didn't know if she was doing the right thing, trusting Nella. Though she claimed she knew Elena, she had no memory of the woman. What if she was lying? What if she was the reason Elena had no memory?

Elena shook her head like she was shaking off cobwebs. She was overthinking. Nella could have left her in that abandoned building with a dead body and no way to fend for herself. But she didn't. She took her to a safe place—a small hotel in the middle of a buzzing small city. They were on the second floor and when looking out of the window, Elena could still see the ruins they have left behind. She didn't know how but she already knew they were still in the Lost City and those ruins had been like that for a very long. 

Elena stepped out of the shower looking at the clothes Nella had given her. The pants and the sleeves of the dark sweater were a bit short on Elena. A vague, distant part of her memory told her that she towered over almost every boy she had met. She didn't remember how she knew that. Elena studied herself in the mirror, hoping at least seeing her own face would bring back something. Her reflection stared back at her, a helpless expression in her pale blue eyes. Her wet dark hair almost reached her waist; strands of it stuck to her pale, freckled cheeks. Suddenly she heard Nella answering a call.

"Yeah," Her voice was faint; Elena pressed closer to the door to hear better. "She has no memory of anything."

She's talking about me, Elena thought in surprise. But why would she talk about her with anyone? With who?

"She could be useful, you know. Her powers..."

"My powers?" Elena muttered to herself looking down at her hands. Their fingers were long; nails bitten. They didn't look like they might have telekinesis or something... How do I know that word?

"I'm trying to shake them off our tail," Nella was saying. "But you know how the Devils are. Good thing she doesn't remember who she is."

Devils? What does that mean? Does it have anything to do with my tattoo? Why is it good that I don't remember anything?

Nella seemed to be listening to something. For a second, Elena thought she had caught her eavesdropping but it turned out that she was merely listening to the person on the other side of the line.

"I saw the boy," Nella said. "No, not him. The younger one. With blue eyes? Yeah, him. You just have to give the order and I'll get rid of him. For good."

What boy? Elena raked her brain trying to come up with any sort of name, any sort of face. Was she putting someone else in danger? Someone she...shouldn't? Who are the Devils? She clenched her eyes shut willing her brain to spit out something. Anything. 

"A boy," She muttered to herself. "Blue eyes. Who the hell—oh, come on, goddamnit!" Elena felt like pulling out her hair or punching through a wall. She felt useless.

Come back to the compound, you fucking imbecile, A voice that sure did not belong to her said in the back of her mind. A boy's voice.

Elena remembered a phone call. A warning. An angry voice telling her not to do anything stupid and come back. Report back. Which she probably hadn't, looking at the situation she had gotten herself into.

"Elena," She was startled by Nella's voice coming directly from the other side of the door. Did she hear her? "I ordered breakfast. I think it's more of brunch, considering it's almost twelve."

"Okay," Elena replied. "Thanks."

She messed around for a few moments to make Nella think she was still dressing and opened the door. Nella was sitting on one of the beds, a smile on her lips. She had taken off her jacket and her bare arms were muscular, a faded tattoo of a skull glistened on the inside of her wrist when she waved at her—The same tattoo Elena had but older.

Maybe she is a friend, Elena thought. That tattoo has to mean something.

"Make yourself comfortable," Nella said, overly cheerful.

Elena sat heavily on the remaining bed and looked at the tray of food. It contained toast, a bowl of butter, eggs and coffee.

Coffee. She liked coffee. That she could remember. Very useful, Elena thought to herself mockingly.

"Look, Elena," Nella spoke, standing up. "I have to go out for a minute. Will you be okay?"

"Yeah," Elena nodded with a small smile. "Go on."

Nella smiled at her and went out of the room, grabbing her jacket from where it was thrown over the back of a chair. Elena heard a key turning. She had locked her in the room. Why?

She suddenly remembered the clothes she had been wearing when she woke up were still there. Maybe she could find anything if she went through them. Elena stuffed a piece of toast in her mouth and went into the bathroom again, reaching for the pile. She took her boots first—they were covered in dust and a few drops of dried blood. Elena noted knife holsters fixed to the side of the boots, designed to stick a small knife hidden away from sight. But where were the knives? Who took them? Nella? Or were they already lost?

Elena sat back on her heels, biting her bottom lip as she stared at the pair of black leather boots. Then she put them on and stood up.

Elena heard the door to the room opening. It was like whoever opened it did not want to alter her. So it couldn't be Nella.

Elena slowly stepped out of the bedroom, trying not to make any sound.

"Ah, there you are."

She was so startled by the voice, she yelped in surprise extending a hand forward as if by instinct. Something buzzed in her mind as a bright ball of light exploded out of her hands, directed towards the intruder. He ducked out of the way with practised ease; The mirror behind him shattered as the light hit it.

"What—?" Elena stared wide-eyed at her own hand like it was a foreign object.

"What on earth are you doing here?" She looked up at the voice. It was a boy—probably younger than her—with straight dark hair and striking blue eyes.

"You are the one she was talking about," Elena whispered, a finger slowly rising towards him.

"I don't know what you are talking about, Elena," The boy said, waving a hand in her direction. His dark sleeves were rolled up to his elbows and Elena saw a similar skull tattoo on his wrist.

"I'm supposed to know you, aren't I?" She said helplessly, feeling utterly stupid.

The boy looked like someone just said that the sun rose from the West. "What?"

"Sorry. I...I have no memory," Elena tried to explain. "I woke up with a dead body next to me. With no memory. I couldn't remember my own name. Were we friends?"

"Friends?" The boy gave an amused laugh. "If you mean were we on the same side: Yeah. Did we get along? Hell, no. You couldn't stand me."

Something like a memory flashed in Elena's mind. A small room: Much like a classroom or something. Her voice—less strained and more clear—hissing I can't stand you! A boy's voice, much younger with hints of childhood: If you can't stand me, sit.

"Kaz," Elena breathed. 

"Now you remember," His eyes held something like annoyance mixed with concern: More annoyance less concern.

"So you found us," Nella's voice said from the doorway. She was leaning against it, a smirk twisting her lips. "Kazimir, you stubborn little bastard. You never give up, do you?"

"No," Kaz said in a challenging tone. "I don't."

"You will now," With that she stood straight, extending a hand towards them, which now held a pistol.

total word count 2519