seven

She remembered.

She remembered being a little girl and living with her parents in the richer part of the Lost City. She remembered her parents keeping her powers a secret from everyone. She remembered, at age twelve, how she lost control and destroyed the whole house along with her Mama and Papa. She remembered sitting in the middle of the rubble, crying until she couldn't breathe. She remembered the Devils finding her that very night and taking her in. She remembered her first real friend, Maverick, the boy who was a year older than her with blonde curls and bright blue eyes. She remembered the three years with only him as someone her age. She remembered slowly falling in love with him. She remembered all the training given by the Devils. She remembered, how when she was fifteen, the Devils found a clue about a small gang of thieves who smuggled small artefacts to the humans. She remembered how they returned with a boy like her, but with opposite, much darker, powers. She remembered the frightened thirteen-year-old who was filled with anger too big for him; how he tended to bite anyone who dared to touch him for the first few months. She remembered how the word spread around about Commander Mordino's bastard son. She remembered how they never got along; how Maverick was always the peacemaker, a bit biased toward her. 

She remembered how Kaz and she had almost gotten each other killed one time. She remembered staying silent with Maverick when Commander shouted at Kaz, too afraid to shoulder her part of the blame; too afraid to face Commander's anger, letting all the blame fall upon a fourteen-year-old. She remembered trying to apologize to Kaz later while Maverick and Commander Mordino were away, which ended up in another shouting match, which ended up both of them crying. She remembered how things got worse between them. She remembered Nella Alden's betrayal; The stolen statue of an old god. She remembered Kaz and her being appointed on the mission because of their powers. She remembered finding out someone stole the statue from Nella and had already sold it. She remembered ignoring Kaz and going after the thief. She remembered how Nella's bullet killed the poor man. She remembered Nella hurtling a spell at her. She remembered the darkness; the emptiness.

She remembered.

* * *

Elena doubled over in pain, her hands instantly going to clutch at her chest. It felt like someone had put a hand through her ribs and was squeezing her heart. Her ears were ringing from pain. Elena bit her lip trying not to cry out in pain.

"You thought after the stunt that bastard pulled off, I'll face one of you unprepared for your sort of power?" Nella laughed. "You two are the stuff of the legends so I bought something from the legends too. Apparently, they work."

Nella held up a stone dangling in a golden chain. Elena recognized it from pictures. Red moonstone protected by a chain of metal tempered in summer ice, a type of ice only found in the farthest corners of the Lost City. She never thought they were real. But maybe as the legends say about the Light and Shadow Benders who are born once a millennium, those are true too. Elena could feel the power radiating off it, making her head throb. 

"I guess now you remember everything," Nella gave her a cold look.

"How do you know?" Elena asked through clenched teeth.

"Oh, please," Nella rolled her eyes. "I was intending to get the memories I wanted one by one without disturbing the rest. Your powers are working fully. The barrier is gone; I can feel it."

I'm not telling you anything.

As if she could read Elena's mind, Nella grinned. "Now, I know you won't tell me anything willingly, but...a little bit of force could get everything out." Elena felt dread freeze her insides. "Bring him in."

"No," Elena muttered as the door was opened and two men dragged a struggling Kaz inside. Another one followed. She recognized him as the man they earlier saw with Nella. 

"Don't say anything," Kaz hissed at her. His lip was bleeding. "No matter what."

Elena wanted to scream; She wanted to punch Nella in the face again. Nella signalled the man to seize Elena and she felt strong hands pulling her upright, locking her hands at her sides. 

"Now, children," The woman drawled, studying the moonstone intently. Elena saw Kaz's eyes widen at the sight. "I know you," She smiled at Elena. "don't care about him. But there must be some kind of loyalty, right? I know you care about his brother and that has to mean something, right?"

Elena remembered Maverick pulling her aside before they left. Keep an eye on him, will you? He's too stubborn to ask for help so, look out for him? For me?

"Don't. Say. A word," Kaz hissed at her again, his blue eyes boring down into her own.

"Shut up!" Nella yelled, holding out the moonstone at him.

He didn't make a sound but Elena saw his face contorting in pain the same way hers had been. She knew what it felt like; Like your whole being was on fire, like you are being crushed.

"If you don't want him to die, girl," Nella snapped at Elena. "Tell me where the damn statute is!"

Elena could see air shimmer around the red stone. Still, Kaz didn't make any sound; It was like he refused to scream. He sagged against the two men, their grip the only thing keeping him upright.

"Stop it, please," Elena tried to pry her arms out of the man's hold.

"Then say it!" Nella looked like a demon out of Hell, the warmth in her brown eyes had disappeared, replaced by so much malice that twisted her pretty features.

Elena shook her head, torn between saving her friend and failing her mission. She couldn't reveal where it was. If Nella got her hands on it who knows what will happen? But she couldn't just let Kaz suffer. She had been awful to him before but he was the only one who helped her when she lost her memory. He was her friend. 

"Please, let him go," Elena pleaded, sensing the tears behind her eyes. "I'm the one you want."

"Wrong answer." This time, the two men let go of Kaz and he slid to his knees, his hands clenched at his sides. 

He tried to lunge at Nella but one of the men got hold of him first, pinning him to the ground by his shoulders.

"Don't try anything stupid, boy," Nella growled.

Elena closed her eyes as Kaz gasped in pain, his body spasming. Still refusing to show how much pain he was in, Elena though, still too stubborn

"Don't say a word, Elena," He gasped out, his voice barely over a whisper, almost inaudible.

"Tell me, Lendorr, where is it?!" Nella yelled at her, holding her hand up with the stone. Kaz did scream this time, a scream of agony with no words which ended in a choked sob. His back arched, his hands trying to grasp at his chest but his captor held him down.

"Please," Elena felt salt on her lips, her tears rolling down her cheeks. "Please."

She looked at Kaz. He seemed barely conscious, his legs weakly kicking at the man trying to break free. Sweat covered his face; He coughed, blood specking his lips.

"Alright," Elena gasped through tears. "Alright, I'll tell—"

A gunshot rang through the air, hitting the man who was holding Kaz down squarely on his forehead. He didn't even have time to gasp as fell back, a smoking hole on his forehead—No blood; Specialized bullets.

Nella jumped back in surprise; Elena turned towards the door. She couldn't help a smile of relief when she saw the familiar face of Maverick flanked by three other Devils she recognized. Maverick's expression was stony as he levelled the gun at Nella.

"Drop that thing down and get away from my brother."

total word count 9134