eight

For a moment everything was silent except for Kaz's strangled breaths. Then one man lunged at Maverick so fast Elena didn't even see him move. Another gunshot rang and the man dropped like a puppet with its strings cut off. Hesitantly, Elena's captor let her go, raising his burly arms above his head. Nella has turned an alarming shade of purple, her knuckles white from clutching the moonstone.

"Arrest them," Maverick's voice was cool, showing no emotion just like Kaz's. 

Two Devils roughly grabbed Nella and her partner while the other one proceeded to drag the dead bodies out. Elena dropped to her knees beside Kaz, her hands hovering over his chest uncertainly. He still seemed to be in pain, his hands fluttering over his chest. 

"Kaz," Maverick dropped to his knees beside her, his face open now that it was just the three of them. He looked frightened, his blue eyes wide in his pinched face. Elena noticed his eyes quickly travelling over her; Checking if she was alright.

The younger boy's eyes fluttered open at his brother's voice. "Rick?" He muttered. 

"Keep your eyes open," Maverick said softly, his hand cupping the boy's cheek. "Focus on my voice."

"You got the message then," Kaz said, which turned into a cough. More blood appeared on his lips.

"Stop talking," Elena gasped. She looked to Maverick helplessly. He was looking back at her, his expression a mirror of her own.

"She got her memories back," Kaz muttered, his eyes fluttering closed.

"Kaz? Come on, don't close your eyes," Maverick leaned closer to his younger brother, his hand stroking the side of his face.

"What if—" Elena wiped at her face. "What if I try to heal him? That's supposed to be my speciality, right?"

"It's too much of a risk," said a familiar voice from the door and Elena almost cried in relief. She turned to smile at Amara, the woman who had been like a mother to her when she was recruited. She was also one of the most patient healers they had. Now she strode toward them, tucking her brown hair behind her ears and offering a smile at Elena. "His powers might go against yours."

"He'll be fine, right?" Maverick's voice was almost hard to hear.

Amara frowned, leaning over Kaz. She brushed the hair out of his forehead, setting her hand there. "It's good to see you again."

Kaz gave a weak smile at that. He seemed to be struggling to keep his eyes open. Elena knotted her hands together, rocking back on her heels. Maverick's eyes were filled with worry. Elena knew how much it hurt—what Nella did. She couldn't imagine what it was like for Kaz. She had used it on him far more than on Elena. 

"Where did they even find red moonstone?" Amara muttered, mostly to herself, lifting up Kaz's T-shirt.

Elena gasped. She heard Maverick suck in a breath. The veins around his heart had started to turn black, the darkness slowly spreading like a poison travelling through one's body. Without a word Amara set her palm over his heart, the ring on her finger starting to give a light glow. Kaz made a pained noise as the veins seemed to slowly return to normal form. Amara shushed and held him down when he tried to struggle. Maverick leaned forward, holding onto Kaz's hands, a pained expression twisting his face. Elena couldn't do anything other than pray. She knew what Amara was doing was only temporary. Both of them will have to be checked for any trace of Nella's magic. But for now, this was the best Amara could do.

Amara straightened, still keeping her calm expression. "We'll have to get him to the compound. Both of you." She looked pointedly at Elena.

Kaz's eyes were fluttering closed again. His fingers twitched, holding onto Maverick's hand. Elena noticed a single tear trailing down the side of his face.