- Chapter One -

"Dream?"
"Dream!?"

Dream jolted upwards.. "Wh.. Where-?" He placed a hand on his forehead. Suddenly all of his pains coming back to him. He winced.

"Dream-!! You're awake!" A boy came rushing to his side. He was only a teenager from the looks of it.

"Aaron..?" He groaned.
"Be careful, you were injured; remember.?" Aaron frowned. Though attempted a small smile to him.

Dream returned the same attempt, despite all of his pain. "Did my spine... break..?" His expression instantly turned into that of discomfort.

"A little yes.. but with enough rest. You should be able to heal it. I mean. You always find a way..!" But with all of the false hope here. Dream found no energy he could draw out to use on healing magic. He let off a fake smile. "Of course, Aaron.. where are your parents now.?"

"They're off doing some work for the camp." He frowned. "It's not like it matters anyway. I can handle myself."

"Awe cmon. You know I was only worried for you.. and I'm sure they worry for you too. I'm sure they work very hard just to keep you safe.."

They both took in a moment of silence.. before the boy spoke again. "Well.. you must be thirsty. Give me a minute and I'll come back with some water and food." Dream nodded to him and Aaron walked out of the tent.

The guardian decided to get a better look at his surroundings-- He was in his own tent, in his bed. He heard the voices of many people outside. They were all working hard to share and produce resources. Ever since the breakout of negativity, safe land became more scarce and resources even worse. He really was their last hope. To house him was their honor-- They wanted nothing but to keep him alive-- For as long as he was safe and alive so were they. It really was a lot of pressure... The burden felt like a weight on the guardian's shoulders.. only crushing him... the horrible pain becoming increasingly worse with each passing day. He exhaled a stressed breath.
Aaron came back into the tent with some fresh water and a small plate of food. Setting it into Dream's lap, making sure he could hold it.

Once they were situated, Aaron sat on the floor next to the bed. It was silent as Dream drank and ate. Struggling to find his own appetite-- though he tried his best. Dream looked down at his young friend.

"So.. what have you been doing while I was gone.?"

Aaron looked up at him. "O-Oh! Well nothing much.. I just see if anyone needs help but they all tell me I'd get in the way. The medical team are the only people who let me really do anything."

"Ah.. I see. That's very nice of them." He smiled weakly, sipping his water.

"Yeah. I think it's really cool they help people who need it. I would like to be a medical assistant when I'm older..- when the plague is over. I'll help people.. help other people. And there will be no more dark monsters to ruin the smiles I bring to peoples faces."

"I understand that. That's a nice goal you know.. helping people. To bring a smile to their faces and brighten their spirits. It is very admirable."

"Really!? Thank you. It means a lot coming from someone who does that like 100 times better than me." He laughed a little.

"Well I wouldn't say I'm the best at--" Dream was interrupted by a new person entering the tent. The two looked up at who entered to be followed by her greeting. "Hey. I thought he'd be up around now." She smiled.

"I'm sorry! I forgot to tell you-!" Aaron stood up. The woman put her hand out. "No need, I see you were taking care of him. I can do the rest from here. Why don't you go back to the medical tent? I'm sure the others will give you something to do."