Chapter 4

RIONA

I sat up gasping for air. My eyes were wild as I looked around. I looked to my right only to find Amelia nowhere to be found. She was gone. Scrambling onto my feet, I looked around the tree house, frantically. She wasn't here. Where was she? Where the fuck was, she?

It was my job to protect her. To keep her safe. Tears started to gather in my eyes, my hands started to shake. And my breathing became fast, and short. I couldn't quite get an actual breath of air.

I couldn't breathe. I can't breathe. I can't breathe. Grasping at my throat, I backed up hitting a wall, and sliding down it. I clawed at my throat, trying to get air. Trying to get myself to breathe.

She was gone. Amelia was gone. And it was all my fault.

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

My eyes were wide, my face turning red. I still couldn't breathe. My chest felt heavy. And it hurt. It hurt to breathe. Fuck, I needed to calm myself down before I passed out. Closing my eyes, I tried to focus on the air around me, the silence. But that just seemed to make it worse. It reminded me Amelia wasn't here.

Shaking my head, I picked up my head and bashed it back into the wooden walls of the tree house. Over and over until I'd probably have a huge bump on the back of my head. But the pain helped me focus on something other than Amelia. My breathing slowed, just enough for me to actually get a breath of fresh air.

I stilled my head, feeling something warm drip down my back. Hands shaking, I reached up and touched the back of my head. As I pulled my hand away it came back red. My whole body was shaking, and tears were streaming down my face.

I had to find Amelia. I had to. Slowly getting to my feet. I looked down and found nothing. No zombies were there. None.   I let out a breath, of relief. That's one less thing I had to deal with. My head throbbed in pain.

And I could feel blood dripping from the wound on the back of my head. I needed to stich that up. But I couldn't do it myself.

I needed someone else to do it.

Looking down again, I was high up. With no ladder. I had to climb down to go find Amelia. But the question was how?

We were to high up, so I couldn't jump. Well, I could. I just didn't want to deal with a broken leg. Even though it would heal in less than a few hours. I couldn't afford to get hurt any more than I already was.

The only option left was to climb down the tree trunk. It'd hurt like a bitch, and would take some skin, but it was all I had left. Blowing out a breath I slowly maneuvered my body so that my back was facing the trees, and I was facing the inside of the tree house.

With shaky hands, I got on my knees, grabbing the edge of the tree house by my hands, I lowered my body down. Until I was hanging by my hands. The weight of my body took a toll on my hands. They were slipping fast. I was too weak to hold up my body weight for too long.

Letting go of the wooden bored with one hand, I hung by my right hand, my fingers slipping, fast. Until only the tips of my fingers were hanging on.  Reaching for the trunk of the tree, I wrapped my legs around it.

Thin enough for my legs to wrap around. Putting my ankles together, and twisting them, for more of a grip on the tree. My left hand grabbed the tree trunk first. My arms are burning with pain. Once I had gotten a decent grip on the tree trunk, I let go with my right hand.

Almost falling backwards, making me let out a scream. But I managed to pull my body back up. Slamming into the tree as I gripped onto it for dear life. The tree bark was already digging into the inside of my thighs and my calves.