3

Richard and Ellen walk into the room where Saffron is being treated. The doctor is still in with her.

'How is she? We're her parents' Ellen asks.

'I'm Dr. Mayfair. Her vitals are stable, neuro exam was clear. It's looking like a concussion. She has a nasty cut on her head which we'll glue together once she's been for a head CT.' He informs them. 'We're also going to get an x-ray of her shoulder as a precaution. Other than that, she's okay.'

'When can she be discharged?' Richard questions. 

'I want to keep her in for a few hours for observation before sending her home.' Dr. Mayfair responds. 'She'll need someone with her for 24 hours once she's discharged.'  

'That's fine.' Ellen nods. 

'I'll be back once her scan results are back.' Dr. Mayfair informs them before leaving. Once he has left, Ellen and Richard stand on either side of the bed. 

'I told you you'd better be dying when we got here.' Ellen snarls. Saffron looks down. 'We were in a meeting with a very big potential client.' 

'If you've screwed this up for us, I swear to god, girl, you'd wish you were dead.' Richard adds. 'Look at me when I'm talking to you.' 

'Sorry.' Saffron whispers as she looks up at him. 

'We're going to get back to work.' Ellen tells her. 'Hopefully, we can resume our meeting. Seeing as you need someone to watch over you for the next day, you can stay with Alex and Ben tonight. We're not babysitters.' With that, Ellen and Richard leave. Saffron tries to fight back the tears in her eyes but it's no use. A few minutes later, Ben and Alex walk in, as soon as Ben sees her crying, he sits on the side of the bed whilst Alex sits in one of the chairs. 

'Hey, ¿qué pasa chica?' Ben asks as he grabs hold of her hand. 

'Nothing.' Saffron shakes her head and she wipes her tears.

'Saff, your parents walked out of here a few minutes ago and now you're crying.' Ben raises an eyebrow. 'What did they say to you?' 

'Oh, you know, just that I'd wish I was dead if I've screwed up this meeting for them.' Saffron deadpans. She looks at Alex. 'Is it okay if I stay with you guys tonight? The doctor says it's a concussion and I'll need someone to keep an eye on me for 24 hours and my parents don't want to be stuck with that responsibility.'

'Of course.' Alex nods. 'Once you're discharged, we'll go to yours and pick up whatever you need.' 

'Thanks.' Saffron smiles slightly. 

'Saff, you know you're welcome anytime.' Ben squeezes her hand. 'Listen, Officer Reyes is going to help you.'

'Ben-' Saffron shakes her head.

'Hear me out.' Ben cuts her off. 'At school, when he noticed the bruise on your wrist, he had a suspicion something was going on. So, when he got back to the station, he looked you up in their system, obviously, you're already in there because of when you've called for help.' 

'Ben, every police officer hasn't given a shit. My parents are close to the police commissioner. They're scared that if they take things further and launch an investigation that my parents will go to the commissioner and they'll lose their job.' Saffron says. 'Eventually, Officer Reyes will realise that and drop it.' 

'I don't think he will.' Alex adds. Ben and Saffron look at him. 'He took your parents into a side room when they arrived so they couldn't see you until you'd been seen by the doctor. No other officer has ever done that.' He continues. 'Saff, there are some really good officers that care out there. Give him a chance to help.'