4

It's been a few days. Saffron has recovered from her concussion and her shoulder has stopped hurting. It's a Thursday morning. Saffron wakes up bright and early for school. She gets dressed and packs her bag before heading downstairs. She sees that Ellen and Richard aren't at the kitchen table like usual and that there are a few dishes by the sink; so she assumes that they've already left for work. She grabs some breakfast before washing up the dishes and placing them on the drying rack. As she's finishing, she gets a text from Ben to say he's waiting outside with Alex since they're taking her to school. She grabs her bag and keys before walking out of the house, locking the door behind her. She walks down to Alex's car and gets in the back next to Ben.

'Hola, chica.' Ben smiles. 'How's the head?'

'Good.' Saffron nods, putting her seatbelt on. Alex looks at her and she senses the question neither Ben nor Alex wants to ask. 'My parents haven't really been home.' She tells them. 'I've only seen them a couple of times in the past few days. However, there's some charity fundraiser gala tonight that we were invited to so I'm going with them.'  She averts eye contact.

'Saff, they're making you go with them, right?' Ben asks.

'I want to go.' Saffron tells him. 'It's just- it's the gala is for a mental health charity.'

'Ah.' Ben sighs. 'Your mom and dad will most likely be sharing your story then.'

'Yep.' Saffron nods.

'Do you want me to come with you?' Ben offers. Saffron looks at Alex.

'I'm fine with him going with you if it's allowed.' Alex nods.

'My invitation came separate allowing me a plus one.' Saffron states. 'So, yes please.'

'Hasta el fin.' Ben holds onto one of Saffron's hands, smiling.

'Hasta el fin.' Saffron smiles back.

.

Later that evening, Saffron is getting ready for the gala. She's wearing a silver dress and is having her hair and make-up done by some stylists that Ellen and Richard hired. They're both working in tandem, as instructed by Ellen to make the process as quick as possible.

'I could have done my hair and make-up by myself.' Saffron tells Ellen who is supervising. She's already ready for the gala whilst Richard is still getting dressed.

'And have you looking like a tramp?' Ellen scoffs. 'No thanks. Your appearance will reflect on your father and I and therefore, will reflect on Bright Security. No-one will want to hire us if it looks like we can't look after our own daughter.

'Sorry.' Saffron lowers her eyes. Before Ellen can say something, the doorbell rings. 'That will be Ben.' Saffron slowly looks back up.

'You invited him?' Ellen asks, masking her anger.

'My invitation allowed me a plus one. I'm sorry, I should've asked first.'

'Well, I can't exactly turn him away now. I'll be right back.' Ellen swiftly walks out of the room.

'Are you okay?' The hair stylist, Mary asks, having noticed the tension.

'I'm fine.' Saffron replies unconvincingly.

'Right, I'm finished now then.' Mary tells her.

'Me too.' Elise, the make-up artist adds. Saffron looks into the mirror.

'I like it.' Saffron forces a smile. 'Thank you.' Despite the look being chosen by her mother, she does like what they've done. Ellen walks back into the room with Ben and the three of them turn to face them.