⚡️ Chapter 36 ⚡️

As the walls trembled again, Vega and Harry led Ron and Hermione back through the concealed entrance and down the staircase into the Room of Requirement. It was empty except for three women: Ginny, Dora and an elderly witch wearing a moth-eaten hat, whom Vega recognised immediately as Neville's grandmother.

"Ah, Potter and Lestrange," Mrs. Longbottom said crisply as if she had been waiting for them. Vega looked at the three females wildly. "You can tell us what's going on,"

"Is everyone okay?" asked Dora and Ginny together.

"It is far as we know," Vega replied, reaching over to throw her arms around Dora. "Are there still people in the passage to the Hog's Head?" She knew that the room would not be able to transform while there were still users inside it.

"I was the last to come through," Mrs. Longbottom replied. "I sealed it; I think it unwise to leave it open now Aberforth has left his pub. Have you seen my grandson?"

"He's fighting," Vega answered.

"Naturally," said the old lady proudly. "Excuse me, I must go and assist him,"

With surprising speed, she trotted off toward the stone steps. Vega turned look at Dora, "I thought you were supposed to be with Teddy?" She found it strange to make words for her cousin as they had been meeting for the first time since Uncle Ted passed away.

"I couldn't stand not knowing, not with you and Remus both out here –" Dora replied, looking anguished. "She'll look after him – have you seen Remus?"

"Dora, are you sure you should be here?" Vega asked, despite knowing that Dora was a very capable Auror and not the one to back down. "Lupin was planning to lead a group of fighters into the grounds but you shouldn't be going out in a panic,"

"I'll see you in a bit – I'll be fine, you know me!" Dora replied, whipping out her wand and speeding out of the room and Vega stared after her in concern.

"I don't think she should be out there," Vega said, feeling a bit guilty about keeping Dora back. "Even with being an Auror, if Bellatrix Lestrange is out there..."

"Ginny," Harry said. "I'm sorry, but we need you to leave too. Just for a bit. Then you can come back in," Ginny looked simply delighted to leave her sanctuary. "And then you can come back in!" he shouted after her as she ran up the steps after Dora. "You've got to come back in!"

"Hang on a moment!" Ron spoke sharply. "We've forgotten someone!"

"Who?" asked Vega and Hermione.

"The house-elves, they'll all be down in the kitchen, won't they?" Ron asked.

"You mean we ought to get them fighting?" Harry asked.

"No," Ron said seriously. "I mean we should tell them to get out. We don't want any more Dobbies, do we? We can't order them to die for us –"

There was a clatter as the basilisk fangs cascaded out of Hermione's arms. Running at Ron, she flung them around his neck and kissed him full on the mouth. Ron threw away the fangs and broomstick he was holding and responded with such enthusiasm that he lifted Hermione off her feet.

"Is this the moment?" Vega asked weakly, although she knew she had and would've done the same if she could spare another moment around f.

When nothing happened except that Ron and Hermione gripped each other still more firmly and swayed on the spot, Harry raised his voice, "Oi! There's a war going on here!" Ron and Hermione broke apart, their arms still around each other.

"I know, mate," Ron said, who looked as though he had recently been hit on the back of the head with a Bludger. "So, it's now or never, isn't it?"

"Never mind that, what about the Horcrux?" Harry shouted. "Do you think you could just – just hold it in until we've got the diadem?"