𝟎𝟎𝟎. 𝐦𝐞𝐞𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐤𝐢𝐭 𝐦𝐨𝐨𝐝𝐲

𝐍𝐨𝐰 𝐥𝐨𝐚𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠. . .

CHAPTER ZERO: MEETING KIT MOODY

AT A YOUNG AGE, KATHERINE "KIT" MOODY held an excellent gift for technology and science. Every night, she looked up at the stars imagining codes and numbers, wondering what she could create next with the tips of her fingers. There was no mistaking; Kit would grow up to be something and possibly the first to be more than a lawyer or judge within her family. Mr. and Mrs. Moody accepted this and supported their only child through every rough decision that meant success in her future goals.

Kit had it all. The best clothes, schools, and tech. She was a straight-A student throughout her school career and graduated high school with high honors.

At seventeen, Kit moved to Massachusetts to study at MIT, and once she graduated with her bachelor's — she found herself in Saint Clara County. Home of Silicon Valley. This adventure seemed like a dream come true. She had accomplished everything she wanted, and everything HAD to work out for Kit to make her parents genuinely proud.

Nonetheless, life isn't meant to be easy. Things are meant to be a challenge, and Kit found that out the hard way.

You see, Kit is a strong-headed woman. Prone to tempers. She lacked social skills, disliked being told what to do by those she saw as lesser, and could create a storm no one wanted to be a part of. Many interviews were given, and many were rejected. Finding friends seemed hard. Falling in love wasn't ideal. Above all else, keeping a roof over her head in California was just as tricky.

It took a lot in her not to call her parents and confine her troubles. The last thing she wanted was for her family to worry and take her back. In a sense, Kit hated the thought of relying on her parents again. Nothing could force her to move back to her hometown, with a shameful cloud following her. She'd rather suck it up and work for someone like Gavin Belson than pack her things.

What surprised Kit the most as she threw herself into the real world was the fact that others perceived her as someone to be cruel and angry. Kit had a heart of gold underneath the death glares and eye-rolling. She loved helping those in need. Kit's sense of empathy was strong — so strong she always left the room if there were too heavy emotions. It took a lot out of her.

Maybe, Kit was different. Perhaps she didn't fit in with her peers in Silicon Valley. Maybe she wasn't as gifted as she thought.

That's what Kit kept pushing out of her head one afternoon while working on her small app. This app kept her mind busy, and she enjoyed its idea. The idea was to help homeless people find shelters, food banks, work assignments, etc. If anyone deserved a simple-comfortable life — she thought the homeless did.

It was the only thing keeping her from genuinely believing she was nothing more than a failure.

As her fingers typed away on her keyboard, a scruffy-looking man noticed her screen and took interest. He quickly introduced himself as Erlich Bachman, founder of Aviato, an Airfare Collector. Initially, Kit ignored him as he mostly spoke about his accomplishments ( selling Aviato for seven figures ) and dramatically spoke nonsensical riddles. Erlich also took a chance to eat the rest of her avocado toast. It wasn't until Mr. Bachman proposed that she join his innovation incubator did Kit flick her eyes toward him. As long as she continued to create her app and once the app achieved a financial goal, Kit would have to give Erlich ten percent of her company.

At first, it all seemed sketchy. Erlich wasn't handsome or neat. He wore a baggy Aviato t-shirt and a button-up over that t-shirt. His pants were also baggy, and his golden curly hair needed a good trim. What bothered her the most was the shape of his beard. The man made it his mission to shave it interestingly. He was not flattering at all.

Still, Kit leaned forward and listened;

She'd rent out a room on 5230 Newell Road in Palo Alto. There'd be other residents, but Erlich promised they were all peaceful and hardworking. He promised, that did not mean his promise was truthful. Kit gave the offer a brief thought, then, out of desperation, shook his hand to agree with this arrangement. Just as Erlich promised stability, Kit pledged success - but deep down, she knew that even if there weren't any victories with her app, she'd have a place to stay for a while. It was the best option.

It was her only option.