04 | Safety Net for Conversation Lulls

A/N: I know I said, "See you next Friday!" last Aug 5, 2022. And it's now Feb 4, 2023... So, if anyone's still reading, here's a double update :) Regular updates on Friday and Saturday will start from now on. Enjoy reading! xx

Normally, Isabelle enjoyed having the house to herself so she can secretly watch her guilty pleasure TV shows while preparing her weekly spreads

Normally, Isabelle enjoyed having the house to herself so she can secretly watch her guilty pleasure TV shows while preparing her weekly spreads. No one could ever know that she watched dating reality shows lest she ruin her reputation. Tonight, however, is not a normal Sunday because she was meeting Alexa Johnson again after six years. She groans as she rolls the words around in her mind once again-She was seeing her estranged cousin whom she hadn't seen or heard from in six years.

Her parents had left a few hours ago to pick up Alexa from the airport after her six-hour flight. Before leaving, they asked if she wanted to come with them, but she opted out of a two hour-long car ride of awkward smiles and conversations. Mindlessly scrolling through Netflix and anxiously looking at the time were much better alternatives for Isabelle.

At exactly 4:24 PM, Isabelle receives a message that they were a few blocks away. In panic, she turns the TV off, stands up, and starts straightening the pillows and flattening out the dent on the couch - making sure not to leave any traces of her watching Netflix instead of studying like she said.

4:26 PM. Isabelle sees her Dad's car and not long after, its doors open.

4:28 PM. Isabelle's parents entered the doorway. Her Mom mouths excitedly that Alexa is her, while her Dad brings her luggage into the living room. Shortly after, Alexa Johnson comes in.

It's strange, meeting someone again after a long time. They feel familiar yet unfamiliar at the same time, and it's disorienting to see how much time and space has changed them. There are still traces of 10 year-old Alexa - like the short brown hair that she always tied in a ponytail and left strands hanging at the nape of her neck. But she didn't know anything about 16 year-old Alexa, who stood on the doorway, waving awkwardly.

When they were younger, Alexa Johnson was anything but shy and awkward.

Neither of them moves toward the other. Isabelle reckons her parents don't know that they haven't talked to each other in years, and they were probably expecting nothing less than a grand reunion.They were probably thinking, What's happening? Why aren't they hugging and crying?

"Come on, girls, don't be shy!" her Mom says, gently pushing Isabelle towards Alexa.

Isabelle smiles sheepishly and reaches out for a quick hug. One second - she counts. But when they step away from each other to exit the hug, Alexa's earrings get tangled in her curly hair, so they were stuck together long enough for her Dad to make one of his trademark dad jokes.

"Already attached to the hip, just like old times," her Dad jokes as her Mom lightly slaps his chest. "Okay, okay. We'll let you two catch up while your Mom and I prepare dinner. Belle, why don't you show her your bedroom?"

I shouldn't have hugged her.

"Belle?" Her Dad snaps his fingers in her face, bringing his daughter back to reality.

"Sorry," Isabelle mumbles. "What did you say?"

Her Dad sighs. "I said, why don't you show Alexa your bedroom? Your Mom and I will cook dinner while you guys catch up, okay?"

"Okay." Isabelle smiles awkwardly at Alexa and helps with some of her luggage. Halfway up the stairs, neither one of them had still spoken a word. But Alexa is the first to break the silence.

"Everything looks almost exactly the same," Alexa remarks. "It's like nothing changed."

"Yeah, home decor has never been Mom's and Dad's priority... as you can probably tell from the outdated design and granny aesthetic." She points at the decades-old china cabinet in the corner.

"It's vintage," Alexa defends jokingly.

Isabelle surprises herself by laughing.

"Do you still have that mirror - the one that we convinced ourselves was totally haunted?" Alexa asks. "I dared you to summon Bloody Mary and then, the lights suddenly flickered and we heard footsteps?"

"Funny story about that," Isabelle replies, trying not to laugh. "Mom found out that we were awake past our bedtime. So, she turned the lights in the living room on and off to scare us. Also, those steps we heard coming up the stairs? Nope, not Bloody Mary. It was just my Mom. Some parenting, huh?"

Alexa stops in her tracks. "No way," she says, shocked. "We spent weeks sleeping with the lights on because of that! We were so scared shitless that we prayed the rosary on repeat until 4 o'clock in the morning." She pauses. "Damn, I can't believe Aunt Liv would do that to us."

Then, she exhales deeply. "Those were the days."

Briefly, Isabelle had forgotten their hiatus while they were reminiscing. It really did seem like nothing had changed. But those words immediately reminded her that they were no longer twelve years old, and everything had changed.

They lapse into silence again.

By the time they reach their bedroom, Isabelle restarts the conversation. "Here we are. I hope you don't mind sharing a room temporarily," she tells Alexa. "I think Mom and Dad are taking you shopping this weekend for your room decor."

Alexa nods. "Didn't know I'd be bunking with a future scientist." She points at the poster of the periodic table on the wall and the molecular model hanging from the ceiling. "Remember that laboratory gown you used to wear everywhere? And I mean, everywhere. At home, in the mall, during a birthday party... like, you wouldn't take it off unless we bribed you with a trip to the museum."

"I thought I looked so cool," Isabelle laughs, covering her face in embarrassment.

"At least you didn't shave half your eyebrows off and drew on them using a pen like I did," Alexa says.

Isabelle regards her with a faint smile. She'd always known what to say at times like this even if it was at her expense.

After that, they easily fell into conversation, recalling the past and catching up with the present. Isabelle is grateful that they had shared history and memories as a safety net for conversation lulls, but not once did they address the elephant in the room - the reason why Alexa suddenly stopped talking to Isabelle and why nobody even bothered to reconnect after all these years.