07 | Aftermath of Arguments & Apologies

Isabelle is planting tulip bulbs with Benjamin Morrell, the air around them thick with awkwardness

Isabelle is planting tulip bulbs with Benjamin Morrell, the air around them thick with awkwardness. A while ago, she wanted to ask him about how many tulip bulbs per row, but given that they are currently not on speaking terms, she opted to sneak glances at him instead and observe what he's doing. During her second row of planting tulip bulbs, she decides to practice her apology in her head one more time before actually apologizing, but Ben beats her to it.

He pauses the music before saying, "I'm sorry about what I said last week." His tone is steady, each word sounding careful and deliberate - like he was also practicing an apology beforehand. "It was seriously messed up, what I said to you, and it must've really hurt you. I'm also sorry for being such a dick in the past few weeks," he continues. "I know I haven't been carrying my own weight as much as you, so I'll do my best from now on."

He reaches for something from his side and gives it to her. "Uh, as a peace offering, I asked Mama to set aside some cookies she made for her book club. We noticed that they were your favorites whenever you came over."

Isabelle is slightly taken aback by his sincere apology. Also a bit embarrassed that she made her love for homemade cookies so obvious to them. "Thank you... for your apology," she says, reaching for the ziplock bag, not sure what to say. "I actually prepared an apology, too, but ..., okay, let me just do this impromptu.

"Uh, you were right, actually. You got dragged into this, and I wish I can return your weekends to you. I really do. If you want me to, I could talk to April about this. I mean, we've covered a lot of ground over the past couple of weeks, and I can do the rest-"

His lips break into a teasing smile. "Are you sure? From what I observed, I think you were bluffing when you said that you were good at this."

Isabelle cocks her head to the side. She didn't expect Ben to have this playful, teasing side of him.

He continues, "And look, I might as well finish what we started, right? It's really fine with me. Don't worry about it."

It was Isabelle's turn to tease him. "So, let me clarify what you just said," she replies . "You're really fine with working with a Type A personality like me?"

"Actually, when you put it that way-"

Isabelle points a finger at him. "No takebacks. That's not allowed."

Ben gives her a playful eye roll before saying in a mock-serious tone, "Anyway, I believe you were also building up to an apology."

She nods, suppressing a smile to match the seriousness of her words. "Right. Uh, I'm also sorry about what I said last week. I shouldn't have assumed that you were just lazing around. Actually, April told me that you'd been helping her around the house at the same time, so I feel really guilty for calling you... God, I can't even say it. It's so mean."

Ben nods in understanding.

"Uh, I have no peace offering with me right now," Isabelle continues, slightly embarrassed, "but can you forgive me?"