Chapter 5

Last edited 24 Jun

 My head snapped in Diana's and Elijah's direction, and without even saying a word, we rushed forward. We knew better than to do nothing, even though we didn't know who the person was. What if nobody did anything? Then Diana and I would surely not be alive right now...

That was when Rev saw a guard point a Beretta 70 at a girl that looked terrified. I quickly grabbed her as Dianna and Elijah also came to the rescue. I stood in front of her, shielding her, and glared at the guard. "Don't touch her!" She snarled at the guard. Tears pooled in the poor girl's eyes, and Elijah hugged her to comfort her and calm her down. The guard pulled the trigger, but instead of aiming at us, he shot the floor.

The guard looked at us and cursed under his breath, "This isn't over!" he shouted as he turned away.

"Thank you," the girl whispered loud enough for me to hear. I hugged her. I couldn't bring myself to speak, as I was still stunned and rooted to the spot.

Diana was the first one to speak after the long-lasting comforting silence, " We should go," she stated. We didn't disagree, the maze was dangerous, and this situation was proof of it. Slowly, we started moving to the meeting point. The silence was giving everyone the calm feeling they needed at that moment. Our feet were clanking and thumping on the carpet-like floor surrounding that area. Water dripped from the ceiling and plinked to the ground.

"I'm Ashley," stated the girl, who still looked terrified. Even though she seemed frightened, she sounded full of self-assurance and confidence.

"I am Diana, that's Rev and Elijah," Diana introduced us. Silence had spread out again, circling the narrow passageway. Relief flooded as we finally noticed people talking, laughing, and researching.

A person shouted, "Food! I've got us some food!" And everyone ran in the direction of the scrawny guy who looked like he was about the age of 18. He had orange hair and pale white skin, with freckles scattered all over it. He had huge glasses that were placed onto his small nose that was located a few centimetres below his greenish eyes.

"Owen! Thank gosh, I thought that we were gonna starve to death!" someone else shouted through the small crowd that had now surrounded Owen. Some people even picked him up and carried him to a small table-like surface that was found earlier. They set him down as he started pulling every little leftover he had carried back. People started gulping down the food like it was a cup of water. Clearly, everyone was extremely starving. I somehow managed to grab half a pizza slice, which was somewhat of an achievement, because the food wasn't enough to feed 15 people, so people were left with nothing but mare breadcrumbs.

That's when I noticed Ashley wasn't there. It was like she had disappeared into thin air. My eyes scanned the perimeter for any sign of her but found none.

Where is she!?